• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Charleston ? Any recommendations?

Too many good places to eat to list. Beautiful beaches. Civil War history, Revolutionary War history. I always go to Patriot's Point. No matter how many times I go, it seems there are parts of those vessels I didn't appreciate the time before. Of course, I never miss a chance at any WWII memorials. That may be because my dad (Marine) and both his brothers (Army) served in WWII. All three were in combat at the same time. Dad in the Pacific (Peleliu, Okinawa & China) and his brothers in Europe. Never got to meet my Uncle Ed, he didn't make it back.

Reactions: GFB
Too many good places to eat to list. Beautiful beaches. Civil War history, Revolutionary War history. I always go to Patriot's Point. No matter how many times I go, it seems there are parts of those vessels I didn't appreciate the time before. Of course, I never miss a chance at any WWII memorials. That may be because my dad (Marine) and both his brothers (Army) served in WWII. All three were in combat at the same time. Dad in the Pacific (Peleliu, Okinawa & China) and his brothers in Europe. Never got to meet my Uncle Ed, he didn't make it back.

I am always struck by the laundry area in the few old ships I have toured. Yeah, there's no shortage of amazing WWII heroics but being in the laundry area of a ship back then must have been day in, day out awful. I'd rather take my risks being shot at.

Yeah, my daughter did her residency at MUSC. We must have eaten at a hundred restaurants on visits. Only bad meal was at Hyman's. Even the little hole-in-the-wall joints are incredible.

Yeah, my daughter did her residency at MUSC. We must have eaten at a hundred restaurants on visits. Only bad meal was at Hyman's. Even the little hole-in-the-wall joints are incredible.

To be fair, I had a couple great meals at Hyman’s before and I also had one disappointing meal. Not everything is fried either unless that is what you order. Would not say it’s an essential stop because there are a ton of options.

Nothing in Charleston is free anymore, but...
The Yorktown is great. 2 hours at least.
Fort Sumpter will he hot, hot, hot, or rainy.
Charles Towne landing is cool.
Gene’s Haufbrau
Fig. Get there early and eat at the bar.
The Macintosh.

X2 on the Yorktown

Magnolia Plantation, setpentarium on Edisto Island kinda cool. SHE CRAB SOUP love the stuff...get some at Poogans Porch...lunch maybe. I always eat at Hymans. Been there a long time.

And Hymans. Been every time I'm in Charleston and I'm NOT a seafood fan.

Maybe we just hit Hyman's on a bad night. Our experience was that due to the hype, advertising, and discount coupons the line and wait was about 1 and 1/2 hours. Fried dishes were greasy and tasted like cooked in old oil.
Too many choices to take another chance as our plan was to eat at as many different restaurants as possible on our visits.
Think our only repeats were Hank's, Pearlz (the one on Magnolia), and breakfast almost every morning at Hominy Grill.

Reactions: GFB
Maybe we just hit Hyman's on a bad night. Our experience was that due to the hype, advertising, and discount coupons the line and wait was about 1 and 1/2 hours. Fried dishes were greasy and tasted like cooked in old oil.
Too many choices to take another chance as our plan was to eat at as many different restaurants as possible on our visits.
Think our only repeats were Hank's, Pearlz (the one on Magnolia), and breakfast almost every morning at Hominy Grill.[/QUOTE My visits there have always been in the cooler months. Off season. Little or no wait at Hymans and yes, I go there to get a fried seafood platter. Not worth an hour wait!!!!! Without a bar and entertainment, no place is

Poe's Tavern on Sullivans Island
Blind Tiger Downtown

Two of my favs

Also, the haunted night tour is good for a spot of history, and as lame as it seems, the horse carriage tour during the day is both a good way to beat the heat and see some really cool stuff (houses, historical places, etc)

BEWARE: lots of folks trying to sell time shares...

Back
Top Bottom