• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Check cashing

jkaczyn18

Default rank <3500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
206   0
Reaction score
I have always kind of wondered this and maybe I missed it somewhere. Why does the ATF cash your check before your Forms are processed? The $200 is for the stamp correct so wouldn't it make more sense to cash it when you are approved? If you are not approved you don't get it back anyways right? Maybe someone can clarify this for me. I just sent my SBR packet in, and while I am not worried about not getting my stamp, I am just trying to figure it out.

Its the government. They take your money first, then get around to doing what theyre supposed to on their own time. Just like a building permit, biz license, etc.

You do get refunded though if you don't get approved.

Any checks that accidently get sent to the IRS get cashed non refundable. 60 minutes did a show on it a few years back, you'd be surprised how many people send the wrong item in the wrong envelope or the USPS sorts or delivers it wrong.

I was not aware that you get a refund if rejected. I thought you forfeited the $200. That's good news.

That being the case, from a business perspective, it would make sense for the Feds to deposit your check and let it clear and then to refund on their check. That gives them certainty that your check was good before they would send a refund and would give them proof of payment when the refund check clears.

Well it would make sense to wait to cash check when approved or denied. If check bounces, no approved form. It also makes sense for the way they do it. They got to make sure you paid for the registration and if they did it the "make sense" way, it would only cause more delay when they send out error letter requesting payment.

Back
Top Bottom