• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Check Engine light and the corresponding codes

MMatt30

Default rank <5000 posts
Hey.....pull my finger.
24   0
Reaction score
So the wife's 2012 Dodge Caravan has the Check Engine Light on. We have moved to a county where we have to pass emissions and tags are due in Jan. Took the van to Autozone and had the codes ran.

Came back P0300 which is random multiple misfire and P0302 which is cylinder 2 misfire. Engine runs fine and doesn't seem to be lacking any power.

Advice?

New plugs and wires?

Well, you could clear the codes and drive it (enough miles to be able to pass).

Or pull and check plug on cylinder 2.

I would clear it and wait if you can. See if it comes back and what else shows up.

I've seen our town and country do some crazy stuff under the hood. Melted wiring harness. That was on an older one but took forever to figure it out. One time when I had 2 certain misfires I figured out it was the coil pack.

So the wife's 2012 Dodge Caravan has the Check Engine Light on. We have moved to a county where we have to pass emissions and tags are due in Jan. Took the van to Autozone and had the codes ran.

Came back P0300 which is random multiple misfire and P0302 which is cylinder 2 misfire. Engine runs fine and doesn't seem to be lacking any power.

Advice?

New plugs and wires?
have it checked for intake gasket vacuum leak....then replace it with a non Chrysler ...it could be so simple as moisture around spark plug boot in the valve cover..pull it see moisture or small cracks as it is pliable replace it...any of the small vacuum hoses on the main vacuum runner could have a small crack or a boot separating...get a chevy!

How many miles? They do have a shelf life and a wear limit from use.

You wouldn't notice an intermittent miss at highway speeds if it only did it once in a blue moon, which is why the computer lets you know about it. Sometimes changing out stuff like the plugs and wires can pick you up a MPG or two if its been too long since they have been changed because you're not getting a clean efficient burn anymore from the spark not being hot enough.

It would seem though like its new enough you shouldn't be having this issue (unless you've put 75k+ miles on it already, then it could be your issue) so it could just be from some bad gas that wasn't bad enough for you to notice but the car did and a computer code wipe and you may not see the light again till the car has a legitimate issue

Dodge was the first minivan. They created the idea. I've always found the mopar mini-vans to be the best. I had a ford windstar and a chevy astrovan and both were garbage. Caravans and Voyagers always held up well. Haven't had one newer than a 2000 model though so things may have changed

Check basics tune up and coil number two

You can always switch a coil off another cylinder see if it follows that cylinder same as wires and plugs

My Snapon you can watch the misfires and see

The real problem is dodge caravan. One of the Worst vans ever made. Glws
It's gone 60,000 miles and been 100% reliable up until now (And technically it's still 100% reliable as it can still be driven) so yeah......

Thanks to all that actually contributed to this thread. Anybody know a trustworthy honest mechanic in Douglasville?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom