• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Check Engine light and the corresponding codes

You can always switch a coil off another cylinder see if it follows that cylinder same as wires and plugs

This is the way I found the misfire on my suv. Cleared the codes and swapped coils between cylinders and the trouble code followed the coil. Replaced it with a coil from a junk yard, about $20, and it's running as good as new.

On a side note, I bought a Bluetooth OBD2 reader, doesn't work with iOS devices, online for $13 and downloaded a free app called Torque. That is probably the best tool for the money that I've ever bought.

This is the way I found the misfire on my suv. Cleared the codes and swapped coils between cylinders and the trouble code followed the coil. Replaced it with a coil from a junk yard, about $20, and it's running as good as new.

On a side note, I bought a Bluetooth OBD2 reader, doesn't work with iOS devices, online for $13 and downloaded a free app called Torque. That is probably the best tool for the money that I've ever bought.
people dont realize that more than 90% of the time it is just the boot and not the entire coil pack (testable) the boot is replaceable...if you cant find the boot just ask me I take care of the plant that makes them ALL...the moisture or small crack causes the spark to intermittently jump to the head (ground) and it has to do this only once in a tenth of a second to cause the missfire code..it killls me seeing how many mechanics just swap parts to fix problem when a 3 dollar part is the common fix

Im going to give you all a nickles worth of free advise when it comes to miss fire codes...all coil paks have an ohms rating that the primary(wire in) secondary (plug wire) test them all like you would a cylinder pressure check and chiltons/Haynes manuals all have the ratings for them ..or even on line if they are within spec (most of the time) just replace the boot...when it comes to chryslers just replace the car with a non chrysler

this
forecastparts.com_images_P8020038.JPG

before this
i87.photobucket.com_albums_k141_luhailing777_Ignition_COL1025_06_zpsqrdxi600.jpg

Last edited:

Having your own code reader is a must
Saves a lot of trips to the auto parts store to get some one who was working the drive thru at McDonald's last week to try and pull the codes

Back
Top Bottom