• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Check Engine light and the corresponding codes

Change your plugs and see if the codes come back. If the same codes come back on the same cylinder, you're pretty safe to change the coil on #2 at that point. If it continues, you've got a blown head gasket and coolant is seeping in. With low miles that shouldnt be the case.

Misfires can be caused by 4 things:
1. Bad Plugs
2. Bad wires
3. Bad coil
4. Bad injector

You need a mechanic to pull the plug and read it. It could simply be past its useful life. They do wear out. The odds that it's a coil or a wire are actually pretty slim, though I've seen a chaffed wire cause misfires. I've also changed my share of injectors that have been destroyed by alcohol in gas, though a 2012 should have injectors tolerant to that.

Misfires can be caused by 4 things:
1. Bad Plugs
2. Bad wires
3. Bad coil
4. Bad injector

You need a mechanic to pull the plug and read it. It could simply be past its useful life. They do wear out. The odds that it's a coil or a wire are actually pretty slim, though I've seen a chaffed wire cause misfires. I've also changed my share of injectors that have been destroyed by alcohol in gas, though a 2012 should have injectors tolerant to that.

I disagree many things can cause misfires

Bad valves
Bad piston
Rings
Gasket leaks
Wiring
Pcm ecm
Updates flash
Valve springs
Rocker arms
Push rods
Etc
Then of course your 4

Coils are really common in the mechanics world
Fords sucks in coils issues

But those would tend to effect the performance of the entire engine (it would go to total crap). It's probably electrical. I second the reset and see (hope) the problem goes away at least long enough to get thru emmisions. Then swapping coils and wire to try to find the culprit.

Ok, I'll give you that, there are MANY things that can cause a misfire but the most common are what I've listed. I have had 2 Caravans and a Town and Country. I've had the same codes and every time it's been the plugs. I should have mentioned that.

Plugs are expendable and wear items. @60k miles, they dont have much life left in them and thats a side point since you're trying to diagnose. Im puting my money on a coil. Coil failure is not uncommon at all from a mechanics viewpoint. Fords more so than most manufacturers but Ive replaced bmw, mercedes, dodge etc.

Plugs are expendable and wear items. @60k miles, they dont have much life left in them and thats a side point since you're trying to diagnose. Im puting my money on a coil. Coil failure is not uncommon at all from a mechanics viewpoint. Fords more so than most manufacturers but Ive replaced bmw, mercedes, dodge etc.

Yup , but me I would switch coil first clear and see if it follows cylinder

If no and same #2 comes back check plug and replace

Couple bucks beats wasting 100 on coil that is not returnable

Back
Top Bottom