• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Choosing a new bank or credit union

CUOG Credit Union of Ga. They will beat the big banks all day long in service, rates... Example, looking to put a pool in, wife has always had her checking acct with BOA. We went to them first, then CUOG. Was not even close in the better loan rate.

How do you deposit cash with a complete online bank?
You can mail it, but I don't trust the mail. We still have an account with a local credit union that all we use if for is depositing cash. I deposit cash into that account and then either transfer it to Ally or pay bills straight out of it.

We've used Wells Fargo... checking & savings... for many years.
I know lots of folks hate them but they've served us well.

I like that there's branches available in many states. Convenient for us when traveling.
The few times I've had fraudulent charges appear on my debit or credit card, WF handled it promptly and to our satisfaction.

If you travel much, I'd probably go Bank of America for day to day stuff like a checking account.

For loans and mortgages I'd stick with credit unions nearby you. If you don't much travel, I'd go with them for your check accounts and everything, no doubt.

I use BBT right now, and I hate them, but I don't hate them enough to transfer elsewhere. Just not worth it to me yet. I mostly hate BBT because they really dragged their feet on my mortgage refi and I had to resubmit duplicate information over and over and over. I suspect they did all that crap on purpose just to drag out that original loan & the higher payment. In retrospect, it was never a good idea to re-fi with the same institution; there is no motivation for the originators to hurry up and get the paperwork done.

All of the loans I've taken out over the last five years though? Credit Union, specifically Robins. I've financed three cars and the rates plus customer service have been untouchable. The only reason I don't have my mortgage with them is that it just isn't worth refinancing at this point. I love em. Real people, not some corporate monster, and the last car note I got I was able to handle COMPLETELY BY TELEPHONE except the documents I had to sign via email before I swung by and grabbed the check. It was awesome.

I use 3 different ones. Ameris is one. Used to be Fidelity and Ga. Bank before that. I have never had to stand in line. There is never anyone in there. Big nice building. I don't get it

Back
Top Bottom