Church shooting in Texas

It took our local media here in Macon a good 12 hours to even mention that a good guy with a gun put him down. And they even used quote marks to call him a hero... Bunch of morons.

So, was this bad guy attempting to do a massacre or just rob the usher who was in charge of the collection plate / offering?

If it appeared to be just an armed robbery in progress, then it's a close call, a judgment call, whether you should draw your gun and start a gunfight. Legally you CAN, of course. You've got a "green light" to engage with deadly force. But is it tactically WISE to kick-off a gunfight under that circumstance? Especially when the bad guy has a combat shotgun already out and leveled at innocent victims, and you have your gun concealed? The odds of you being able to fire a shot at him before he can fire are slim to none.

Once the shooting started, however, everybody with a gun should try to kill the bad guy, and even people without guns might help the effort by throwing stuff at him. Bibles, coffee mugs, whatever. In this case there was no opportunity to do that, because once the first shot of the day was fired, it was only a few seconds later that the bad guy took a round to the brain and flopped over.

Yeah, I'm an armchair quarterback.
(It's best to learn from the experiences of others. You don't want to have to make all those mistakes on your own, personally, to try to learn from them. You may not survive them all.)

:tsk: You have to at least appreciate their transparent hypocrisy.... I guess.
It's ridiculous, it's like they aren't even trying to hide it. But thankfully their own comments section put them on blast for it. They forget the majority of their viewers are pro 2A. Or at least the one's who comment online.

Whoever it was, he did a great job. That was a pretty far shot, under pressure, at a moving target.
One lesson this shows is that it's good to have a medium to full sized pistol for church carry.
Absent divine intervention, I couldn't make a shot from that far with my normal carry guns, which are pocket pistols or backup guns or "get off me" guns-- a .38 snubby revolver or a micro sized .380 ACP.

The first good guy to draw his gun took 3 seconds just to get it out fully and start swinging it toward the bad guy. THAT'S when he took a blast of buckshot to the chest. That was the first shot of the incident-- the bad guy shooting the good guy who had stood up and started to draw his pistol from his 6 o'clock position under his suit coat.

Then the bad guy killed the usher who'd been holding the offering plate.

Then the bad guy began running to the pulpit.

That's when the second armed good guy to appear dropped the bad guy with a head shot.

So that's about 6 seconds of gunplay, shot to shot.
If you count the time the bad guy brandished his gun at the usher before swinging it over to the first armed good guy to intervene, maybe 7 seconds.

A should holster under that suit coat could have saved his life although there is not much you can do with a shotgun pointed at you.

The only other option I could think of was that the usher the shooter was talking to could have rushed and tried to control the shotgun as soon as it appeared.

As @Lionheart mentioned, what the hell was that guy wearing and how/why didn't anyone have a suspicion about this guy in the first place?

A should holster under that suit coat could have saved his life although there is not much you can do with a shotgun pointed at you.

The only other option I could think of was that the usher the shooter was talking to could have rushed and tried to control the shotgun as soon as it appeared.

As @Lionheart mentioned, what the hell was that guy wearing and how/why didn't anyone have a suspicion about this guy in the first place?

I believe the fastest (and it’s fast) draw from the seated position that would had been more ideal than all the standing up and telegraphing the guy did with small of the back carry would have been appendix carry. By far the fastest draw from concealment. Especially in seated position. Very accessible

Back
Top Bottom