• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cleaning Daniel Defense M4A1 bolt carrier

Carey1465

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
0   1
Reaction score
First off, this is my first AR-15. I took the rifle to the range for the first time and shot 40 rounds to zero in the red dot. Took the rifle apart later to clean it and was a little confused after I finished wiping everything down. The bolt carrier and the assembly still looked dirty or it has a film on it. Here are some pics.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160813_195cc082699cf8c45eb05ed6f3a4f346.jpg

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160813_5865bc46ab9126d6eaa3287e385dcb59.jpg

Should I scrub it a little more or this is normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. It looked dry cause I just finished cleaning it. It probably sounded like a stupid question but I thought it still looked dirty and didn't want to scrub to hard. Sooner or later should I invest in a nickel boron BCG? I've been watching videos online and it seems like that's the way to go.

Thanks for the replies. It looked dry cause I just finished cleaning it. It probably sounded like a stupid question but I thought it still looked dirty and didn't want to scrub to hard. Sooner or later should I invest in a nickel boron BCG? I've been watching videos online and it seems like that's the way to go.

No. DD makes a great BCG.

The black phosphate coating will begin to show wear, especially on either side of the gas key. Keep in mind with semi-auto's like AR's that oiling and lubing are not the same thing. Gun oil is typically at protecting the exterior finish of a firearm but those oils typically are too thin and burn off too quickly to provide adequate lubrication. Fireclean and SLIP2000 are my 2 favorite lubes for AR's. If you can't find those, Breakfree CLP is decent. Keep it wetter than you might think for long life and to minimize wear.

Back
Top Bottom