• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cleaning with Stainless pins in a vibratory tumbler??

JeepAdventure247

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
237   0
Reaction score
Up until this point I've been using a vibratory tumbler with corn cob media. My tumbler is an older model Cabela's vibratory with a relatively sealed lid.
Would I be able to run the stainless pins with water and detergent in this? Will it actually clean? Any reason why I shouldn't try this? I'm pretty sure it's not going to leak out of the top lid.
Just looking for some thoughts on this

I do not know about the effective cleaning power, but I think the soap and water will make their way down the bowl attachment stud to the motor.

I've used SS pins in a vibratory cleaner. It worked ok, but not a good as rotary. The water leaking is not a huge issue, if you don't fill it too full.

However, the nature of the pins and their relative weight means that as the bowl vibrates, it ends up pushing some or all of the shells to the top of the pins, where they are not as effectively scrubbed. In mine, if I ran a batch of 223, they would all end up standing on end, with the very top of the shell out of the water and pins. The rest of the casing was clean, but not the neck.

At the end of the day, get a rotary tumbler and you'll be thrilled in the long run.

If you are in no hurry watch amazon. Seen them go as low as 125, not a bad price. Someone on here had one listed for 100 awhile back.

Back
Top Bottom