• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CMP getting 99,000 more Garands

I'd save up and get a good shooter for about $1,100 - $1,300. Higher than that and you are paying for "correctness". Anyone can get lucky though so keep looking but educate yourself so you know when that deal comes along.

image.jpeg

Here is the actual post:

I'm attending the Advanced Maintenance Class at the CMP Custom Shop. Part of the agenda included a tour of the warehouse and where the armorers do their work. No pictures were allowed for security reasons. What an amazing tour. The Philippine rifles are all in the warehouse but the crates have not been opened. The shipping containers went from floor to ceiling and took up a large part of the warehouse.

The armorers are working full tilt on the Turkish returns that are now being shipped. Most of the ones I looked at, even the service grades, have a lot more finish wear than what we are used to on earlier releases. Also, most of the rifles were stocked with a very strange looking wood. I'm not sure what it was. Maybe some type of beech? They were a very unattractive yellowish color wood similar to what you'd see on an SKS or Mosin Nagant. Most of those stocks are not being used. They were being thrown into a big box. The other thing I saw was that some rack Grades were being stocked with a new wood with very little figure to it. I'm probably not getting this right but I think they said it was hackberry??

The sheer number of rifles and parts on site is truly amazing. I saw large boxes of M1D leather check pads, m84 scopes, flash hiders, etc. It looks like the Turks had quite a few M1Ds many were in beautiful condition.

I also saw quite a few M1 carbines including a large box of M1A1's. The CMP also has vast quantities of parts of every description including boxes and boxes bare receivers. One receiver that came off a Turkish return was a four digit serial number that was 1XXX (i can't remember the exact digits). Pretty amazing.

Some day the CMP will run out of rifles but that day is years away. At the current rate of sale (about 15,000 per year per Mr. Johnson) they probably have at least six years of stock.

If you ever get the chance to attend the class down here I highly recommend it. The guys at the Custom Shop are really great. Its been excellent so far.

Back
Top Bottom