• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CMP getting 99,000 more Garands

Also, most of the rifles were stocked with a very strange looking wood. I'm not sure what it was. Maybe some type of beech? They were a very unattractive yellowish color wood similar to what you'd see on an SKS or Mosin Nagant. Most of those stocks are not being used. They were being thrown into a big box. The other thing I saw was that some rack Grades were being stocked with a new wood with very little figure to it. I'm probably not getting this right but I think they said it was hackberry??

i'd dig a turkish wood stocked garand, to those who collect russian and chinese rifles it would be a cool addition to their collections. the oddities add to the character of rifles used in foreign countries

This thread got me thinking (I know!; Trouble!). I bought my International Harvester Garand around 15 years ago for $350 bucks from an old guy that came in the range a lot. That was on the cheaper side back then but have you seen the prices NOW?!! Goot Lort! Makes me feel OLD!

The Turkish stocks are not pretty. None of us are using them. The Turks idea of "overhauling" stocks was to simply sand them down and apply a yellow shellac. After 50+ years, that process has lead to some paper-thin stocks, and a splotchy, off-yellow wood color. We are basically only using CMP or USGI stocks now.

So off the record. have you guys looked at the PI Garands? Good Bad Ugly? or No Comment. In regards to the turks are they being rebuilt into Specials? If no comment I totally understand.

Back
Top Bottom