• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

COLD WEATHER “minimum kit”

im not an experienced cold weather survivalist but have backpacked in sub freezing days with 12 degree nights. A thermarest neoair and 0 down bag kept me toasty, even under a tarp. Snacks, wool socks, and h20 should be good to go. IDK how waterproof a m65 is but a hi quality waterproof shell with vents is nice. Hiking though I sweat me arse off so mostly wear a light clothes while moving. If just a bag to keep in car jic I have to walk, I would focus on H20, socks, snaks, shell and mouse gun with 2 mags and 25 xtra rounds. ....and a decent headlight.

I wont speak to the hiking part because that is not part of my plan at the moment. I keep a pair of coveralls and a heavy coat in my truck during these very cold days to have along with my normal attire. I got a case of water and some snacks, candle lantern that can also be used for heat in a pinch. Beanie/ tobogan, light and heavy gloves, and an extra pair of wool socks.

20240118_111759.png

I just too old, fat and broken down to do all that crap anymore.
I had my days of it and now I enjoy the indoor life with heat/ac , cable tv, stocked fridge & freezer, stove, shower , etc…..
That is why I don’t live in the woods or some third world country. I like the comforts of what’s available in a decent up to date house . :)
My idea of roughing it is when room service is late.

I’m not purposefully getting away from home when bad weather is coming. Having said that, my under seat storage in my truck’s cab consists of knit cap, fleece balaclava, ski gloves, work gloves, and mittens (yes, all three for options), a nylon jacket, a scarf, thick socks, hot packs, a fleece lined blanket with nylon shell. Various knives and survival axe and fire starter kit. All that stuff has been under my rear seat for years. If it’s really cold out, I’m wearing thermal underwear and my Redhead goretex boots with 1000grams thinsulate before I leave the house.

Hey everyone I was watching the news this morning and seen where this cold weather throughout the USA has killed at least 12 people. It made me second guess my preparedness A little so I was going to ask if anyone is experienced in cold weather survival what should be your minimum kit for prolong single digit weather here in Georgia mostly for a SHTF scenario but also will be used to hike/camp in winter months in Georgia. I would like for it to be light enough to hike all day with including my other gear (knive, saw, careen, 3days food, pan etc…obviously a hot tent would be Ideal but idk how heavy those are either I’ll be making either two one person kits or one two person kit. If you have and input please let me know. Thanks.
I keep something in our cars in case we get stuck. Small books/toys for the kid. Enough breakfast bars stashed in the glove box so we won’t starve. Space blanket, a larger Grabber survival blanket. Gloves, base layers, hats, wool socks for everyone, and a lot of HotHand hand / body warmers. We’ll last at least 24 hours and be fine.

If you are going to play in the cold, the number one thing I am going to have handy is my down sleeping bag. A mummy bag, and I’m sure there are more modern insulation materials on the market now.

Remember if the temperature rating on a sleeping bag is 30 degrees, at that temperature it will keep you alive, but you won’t have a great night, and you’ll wish it was rated at -20 degrees. With a-20 degree bag at 30 degrees you probably won’t be all the way zipped up and probably won’t be using the drawstring to make a tiny opening to breathe.

I think the military has a MSS sleep system with a -50 degree rating when you use everything. Throw that in the backseat and even if everything goes sideways you can still stay warm.

As an old boy scout. I have slept in the snow more than once

Back
Top Bottom