• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

COLD WEATHER “minimum kit”

A St Bernard with a martini glass tucked under his chin........
I need to get one of those little barrel flasks for Sonny...for emergencies.
Screenshot_20240120_005450_Chrome.jpg

I keep something in our cars in case we get stuck. Small books/toys for the kid. Enough breakfast bars stashed in the glove box so we won’t starve. Space blanket, a larger Grabber survival blanket. Gloves, base layers, hats, wool socks for everyone, and a lot of HotHand hand / body warmers. We’ll last at least 24 hours and be fine.
Is that Grabber brand any different than all the knock-offs? And now that I look, do they even make those anymore?

With all the talk about sleep systems in here, Midway has this sleep system for sale for 150 dollars. Reviews look good and they say it's exactly like the one I used in the Army. I ordered one so I can give a personal review once it arrives and I use it at next month's field drill.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 10
The more you know the less you have to carry. Proper outdoor clothes and boots. I work mainly outside so I'm always dressed appropriately. A good tarp with 6'long x 3'wide sheet of clear plastic tarp and a mylar blanket (super shelter construction). A good shank of cordage (550 or bankline or go home). A good knife I can baton with. A small fire starting kit (my knife sheath has a ferro rod too) including some fat wood, cotton balls, a small tube of vaseline. My edc pistol and pocket knife. A lightweight sleeping bag and the gortex cover from the military 3 piece system and a poncho liner. A non vacuume sealed, single wall, metal water container with metal cup I can put over the fire. I keep small amount of pemmican, hard tack, vitamins, and single serve coffee/tea in my bag (lots because caffeine is my friend). I also keep rain gear, 2 pair spare socks, and an extra set of light base layer in my bag. A small med kit with basic otc meds, bandaid and antibacterial ointment. Shower wipes and foot powder.

Not much I can't make it through with all that.

With all the talk about sleep systems in here, Midway has this sleep system for sale for 150 dollars. Reviews look good and they say it's exactly like the one I used in the Army. I ordered one so I can give a personal review once it arrives and I use it at next month's field drill.
Technical Information

Patrol Bag
- Designed to be used in temperatures down to 40 degrees Fahrenheit..

This isn’t a cold weather bag. At 40 degrees outside, you will survive and wish you’d bought a real sleeping bag. I would strongly advise against it.

The military setup is rated to -50 f

I'm more concerned about preparing for the coming of Christ, then covid or whatever the government is trying to kill us with. As for preparing for cold, I keep extra socks, boots coats gloves and insulated bibs. Also extra everything that i/we EDC, a mini touch, cigar lighters(get those from a member her for cheap) along with fire starters and a few small tarps. First aid kits and other emergency supplies are always with me. I've only been caught out when bad cold weather hit, 1 time and had enough to help another with me.

Technical Information

Patrol Bag
- Designed to be used in temperatures down to 40 degrees Fahrenheit..

This isn’t a cold weather bag. At 40 degrees outside, you will survive and wish you’d bought a real sleeping bag. I would strongly advise against it.

The military setup is rated to -50 f
I'm confused on what point you're trying to make. There's an intermediate bag that's rated 40 to -15, as well as the bivy bag. And when all three are combined its even better. Sure if I bought the patrol bag alone it wouldn't work well. But the entire system is 150 bucks. Unless I'm missing something.

Back
Top Bottom