• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Collectible S&W Revolvers produced from 1957 to Present

From the sublime, like Egghead and Wheeler’s posts, to possibly the ugliest revolver that S&W ever produced. Let’s face it; this is one ugly looking gun. The M49 original Bodyguard was apparently the shape that S&W wanted to achieve. Well, they achieved that shape, but the M296ti resembles a baby rhino (term taken from J Vaughn) and not a pretty baby rhino.

The M296ti is a .44special (limited to a 200 grain round), built on the round butt Centennial L frame, with a 5 shot titanium cylinder. It was introduced at the 1999 SHOT show and was produced from 1999 to 2001. It is said, that there were 5000 units produced. I do not have verification of that number. The M296ti came with a set of Mikes L frame boot grips which, in my opinion, did not provide the proper grip to handle a .44special round out of a lightweight 2 ½ inch barrel. I put a set of Ahrends grips on mine and sold the grips with the gun.

I will not say the M296ti was a total bust, but it was not popular. Now, because of the limited numbers of these, they have become collectible. I hate to say it, but this is a truly ugly Smith. But, if I had the chance, I would most likely buy one again! lol

M296ti
Model 296ti.jpg

Alright, in addition to looking for nice condition items with boxes, I also look for low production number runs. Whether old or new the same rules apply, I like the number 500 or less. This number is just a base line I use when researching a new model and is always subject to change.
Anyway here is a m29 no dash in nickel, I have posted this one before, but hopefully there won't be any objections.
nickel 29...jpg
nickel 29.jpg
nickel 29..jpg
nickel 29....jpg
29 letter.jpg
29 letters.jpg

From the sublime, like Egghead and Wheeler’s posts, to possibly the ugliest revolver that S&W ever produced. Let’s face it; this is one ugly looking gun. The M49 original Bodyguard was apparently the shape that S&W wanted to achieve. Well, they achieved that shape, but the M296ti resembles a baby rhino (term taken from J Vaughn) and not a pretty baby rhino.

The M296ti is a .44special (limited to a 200 grain round), built on the round butt Centennial L frame, with a 5 shot titanium cylinder. It was introduced at the 1999 SHOT show and was produced from 1999 to 2001. It is said, that there were 5000 units produced. I do not have verification of that number. The M296ti came with a set of Mikes L frame boot grips which, in my opinion, did not provide the proper grip to handle a .44special round out of a lightweight 2 ½ inch barrel. I put a set of Ahrends grips on mine and sold the grips with the gun.

I will not say the M296ti was a total bust, but it was not popular. Now, because of the limited numbers of these, they have become collectible. I hate to say it, but this is a truly ugly Smith. But, if I had the chance, I would most likely buy one again! lol

M296ti
View attachment 2072905

I remember when these came out. They did not sell well at all and the local gunshop (Cook's-Biloxi) couldn't give them away. They were not thought very highly of. I would love to have one now.

Reactions: JWC
Alright, in addition to looking for nice condition items with boxes, I also look for low production number runs. Whether old or new the same rules apply, I like the number 500 or less. This number is just a base line I use when researching a new model and is always subject to change.
Anyway here is a m29 no dash in nickel, I have posted this one before, but hopefully there won't be any objections.
View attachment 2074773 View attachment 2074774 View attachment 2074775 View attachment 2074776 View attachment 2074781 View attachment 2074782
Wow wow wow!

Back
Top Bottom