• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Collectible S&W Revolvers produced from 1957 to Present

So... Did you see they reissued the model 610 in two different barrel length? I wonder what that will do to the value of my originals?

Probably won't affect the Value of original, pre-Lock, pre-MIM 610's one way or the other--People who want the originals will pay the going rate, and those of us who aren't put off by "The Lock" and MIM will buy the newer, less-expensive re-issued guns for shooting with--The way I look at it, EVERYBODY wins!

My old Smith 31-1 revolver .32 Long in the box with docs. I just don't see them all the time in this condition so I hope it fits in this forum.

2017-02-12 16.42.48.jpg

2017-02-12 16.39.31.jpg

While we wait for Egghead to post some pictures, let me take this opportunity to thank all those who have posted. Good to see the M27-1 collection that LH has again.
Model 58 .41 Magnum

The M58 is a N frame square butt with no options for barrel length, 4” only, nickel or blue finish, walnut PC diamond magna grips, non-shrouded extractor rod, fixed sight, and chambered in .41 magnum. M58 began production in July, 1964 and production ended in 1977 for the M58. Roughly 20,000 M58s were produced during that time frame. There was another .41 magnum produced in 1964, the model 57. M58 differs from the M57 in several ways. The three major differences that separate the M57 from the M58 are, in my opinion, 1) target sights 2) shrouded extractor rod, 3) comes in barrel lengths of 4”, 6” and 8 3/8”.

I am going to try and not bore everyone with a long story about the .41 magnum round, but there does need to some explaining( this a very condensed version. I would encourage anyone interested to explore the information available). The legendary Elmer Keith, who Roy Jinks S&W historian calls, “"the father of big bore handgunning”, along with another legendary big bore developer, Bill Jordan, of Columbus, GA, both helped in the development of the .41 magnum. Mr. Keith was the primary proponent, and lead developer of the .41 magnum. Mr. Keith did not like the .357 round, even though he is credited with creating the round. Mr. Keith felt that for police service the .357 over penetrated, and was difficult to control in rapid firing. Mr. Keith did not feel that the .44 magnum would be a good round for the police department because,well, it is a .44magnum. So, in conjunction with Remington, the .41 magnum was born. When a new cartridge is created, you need a gun that will fire that cartridge. So, S&W developed the M58 and for big bore hand gun hunters, the M57. The .41magnum round, the M57 and the M58 all came out in 1964.

Mr. Keith, Remington and S&W hoped the M58 would replace many of the .357s in police departments throughout the country……………uh well…………. they were wrong, very wrong. The M58 was a total failure in terms of units sold. I believe the major complaint was that the .41magnum was way too close to the .44magnum in terms of recoil. M58s would set in gun store for months, maybe years before they sold. The N frame is a desirable frame so the .41 magnum M58 became a conversion frame for .44s, 45s, even .357s.

The M58 is collectible because it was a failure. Not many survived for various reasons, and those that did, well, there is a hefty price tag on those.

M58

View attachment 2066674
These Fixed Sight N frames are making my teeth hurt from Grinning!

tenor.gif

Back
Top Bottom