• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Collectible S&W Revolvers produced from 1957 to Present

A fine array of S&W revolvers you guys have. But, I got to thinking about what lftd&pwrstrok'n said about any S&W revolver without the lock being collectible. Some purists will never believe any S&W revolver with the lock is collectible. But, I believe there are a few. Here is my example.

M625-10 .45acp
This is a Performance Center 6 shot, .45acp first introduced at the 2003 SHOT show. It has a 2.1” barrel built on aluminum/scandium alloy N frame with the round butt. It has an alloy yoke with a stainless steel cylinder, and a flame shield. As you can see it does have the lock.

Two versions of the M625-10 were produced in 2003/2004. One a clear cote frame and a two tone version where the frame is black and the cylinder is stainless (not shown).
As for production I've heard slightly different numbers. It has been said 865 of the 625-10 with clear cote frame were produced, and 250-300 of the two tone version.

The M625-11, not shown, is a .45 colt model. Same as the M625-10 with around 103 that were produced with a polished cylinder.

I've read and seen complaints that the barrels were over torqued, causing stresses in the frame, possibly causing the frame to crack. I have to say that the gentleman who bought mine, John in SC, uses his in a regular rotation of carry pieces. He says he has never had an issue with his. S&W has run out of frames so they're just swapping the gun for anything out of their catalog.

The M625-11 is a .45 colt model. Same as the M625-10 and around 103 were produced with a polished cylinder.

Given the low production numbers, the unusual configuration, these guns are, in my opinion, very collectible.

M625-10.jpg

The US Customs Service approached S&W with a request and set of specs for a medium frame, .357 Magnum revolver. What resulted was the 3” and 4” 686 CS1 revolvers. They were built to a rather exacting standard in the days before there was such a thing as The Performance Center.

They were not initially popular with the Customs agents as they were forced to carry them rather than their personal preference, they had an issue that plagued all the early 686 revolvers with the hotter 125 grain loads and the firing pin bushings, and they were heavy.

Of the roughly 3500-4000 made approximately half were ordered destroyed when the Customs Service transitioned to a semi auto pistol. Like any limited number production S&W revolver they became desirable on the collectors’ market

The top gun pictured was Magna-Ported prior to my acquiring it. It is obnoxiously loud to shoot in confined spaces but there is a noticeable difference in felt recoil.

I carried and shot IDPA with the bottom gun for 15 years. It has a conservative 20,000 rounds of 158 grain +P .38 through it and easily 100,000 dry fire trigger presses. It’s due for a time up soon.

Attachments

• 8257E5C0-D8B7-4E04-8E82-1420D1728FE4.jpeg
    8257E5C0-D8B7-4E04-8E82-1420D1728FE4.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 34
But, and I hope some will point out the models, that do have the lock and are still considered collectible.

Ok, I will bite. One of mine and only the one of two w/ a box, but I am hoping that the odd ball caliber will make this one collectible one day:

7380da94426b6899772694ab07698a8f.jpg

Thanks to @JHW for the photo. Although she now wears a pair of Altamont Cocobolo grips, my phone camera still sucks!!

JWC JWC .....that M520 is a beauty. You know i like Smiffs alot....but i could only dream of a collection like yours.

The M520 is an interesting one for sure. I havent really ever seen them or knew of them existing until your piece. I can definately see someone taking one to make a .45 acp shooter with it. It would be nice.
Im crazy for tapered bbl anything !

There are some nice pieces yall are showing off.
@BillsCamino .... that Pinto is plum pretty !

Back
Top Bottom