• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Collectible S&W Revolvers produced from 1957 to Present

If you have not noticed a pattern by now, there is one. I really like fixed sight S&W revolvers. To me they just look…well….clean. So, here is a K frame fixed sight collectible S&W revolver.

The Model 19-P is another special production run by S&W. It is said the P in the model number stands for Peru and was a special run for Peruvian Army. If one just looks at the serial numbers, one would find that the M19-P was produced in 1987/1988, around the time of the M19-5. But while the Model 19-P is a .357, it has fixed sights, narrow yellow 'stripe' vertical on the front sight, .312 smooth combat trigger, but with the narrow .265" service hammer you'd expect to see on a Model 10, not a .375" semi-target you're used to seeing on a Model 19.

There were approximately 3218 of these produced in 2.5” and 4”. I do not have the numbers of 2.5” versus 4” models produced. There are also some discrepancies on the number of total units produced. As I stated earlier, the M19-P was initially produced for the Peruvian Army, but only 1500 units were delivered. I have read that the Peruvian Army did not take the full production because money was an issue. I cannot verify that opinion. A distributor in Wischo Germany took 1237 units and 481 units were sold domestically. The M19-P models that were sent to Germany will have German proof marks on the barrel, frame and cylinder. Belgium may have proof marked some as well. The grips were not serial numbered to the frame. Plus, when the guns arrived at their intended designation, the distributor could have and on occasion did change out the grips. On the domestic models sold, it is assumed that the 4” models had target grips with the speed loader cutout, and the 2.5” models had magna grips. But some, 4” and 2.5” models, may have had Pachy grips. One would have to letter the domestic models to verify how the gun left the factory.

The M19-P pictured, was one of the models sent to Wischo Germany. The proof marks are on the barrel, cylinder and frame. I have included a couple of pictures of the proof marks. From a collectible standpoint, these are highly valued because of the limited number and the rarity of a fixed sight M19. I have never seen a M19-P with a 2.5” barrel in person.

If you find one, buy it! lol

M19-P-1.jpg M19-P-2.JPG M19-P-6.JPG M19-P-5.JPG

Back
Top Bottom