• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Colt 6951 9mm AR

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
46   0
Reaction score
I bought one new a few months ago. It is exactly as advertised. It shoots well: does not jam, and it is accurate. Not rifle caliber accurate, but very very pistol caliber accurate.

I am using one Colt branded Metalform magazine and three identical PSA branded Metalform magazines. They all work great. However, I have not been able to lock a full mag into the gun with a closed bolt.

The trigger is heavy, but .... it can be easily modified.

The gun comes with one mag, and a set of nice polymer flip up sights. I put a co-witnessed C-More 8moa Dot between the sights.

I bought mine at Atlanta Range and Ordinance in Newnan. After a few hundred rounds, I fired a 32 round mag filled with some hotter rounds ; once the barrel got hot, the hand guard twisted loose. A range employee took it into the shop and tightened it for me. It seems to be fine after being tightened. There are some internet reviews out there that indicate that this is a common problem. If the gun had a gas tube like a standard AR-15, the problem would not be so pronounced as the gas tube would prevent the hand guard from turning.

The biggest negative I found has nothing to do with Colt's quality, but rather the blow back style rifles in general:

If you shoulder the gun and fire several rounds, you will likely inhale a lot of smoke and particles, and your eyes may begin to feel some burning sensation.

The gun gets really dirty, really fast. But, it keeps on running just fine.

All in all, I like it and I am happy that I bought it. It is a great indoor range gun and I think far superior to a handgun when used as a home defense weapon.

IMG_0704.JPG

As an additional note:

After buying this gun, I read a lot of 9mm AR information. One of the frequently mentioned items is the tendency of the 9mm AR to experience a broken bolt catch. It is common to read that the cause is the excessive aft movement of the bolt past the bolt catch. A common fix is installing a spacer(often a stack of quaters is used)in the rear of the buffer tube to prevent the bolt from moving excessively far behind the catch.

While pondering installing a spacer, I learned that the Colt 6951 has a special bolt catch that catches the bolt further towards the aft limit of its travel. So, the problem of broken bolt catches has been addressed in the Colt.

As an additional note:

After buying this gun, I read a lot of 9mm AR information. One of the frequently mentioned items is the tendency of the 9mm AR to experience a broken bolt catch. It is common to read that the cause is the excessive aft movement of the bolt past the bolt catch. A common fix is installing a spacer(often a stack of quaters is used)in the rear of the buffer tube to prevent the bolt from moving excessively far behind the catch.

While pondering installing a spacer, I learned that the Colt 6951 has a special bolt catch that catches the bolt further towards the aft limit of its travel. So, the problem of broken bolt catches has been addressed in the Colt.

A stack of quarters is one way but a heavier and longer buffer weight made for 9mm coupled with a heavier spring mitigates this issue nicely.

That's a nice looking Colt sir....If you are interested in another magazine option the Brownell's 30 round Colt sticks are excellent quality too.

Thank you—I found some Metalform Mags at PSA with PSA logo for a good price. They work.

The Brownell’s mags look good, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom