• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Colt Combat Commander .38 Super

Not familiar with a 357 Sig in a 1911?
but isn't the barrel for a 357 Sig ramped and fully supported??
the 38 Super isn't and its basically a thick 45 acp barrel, no ramp and linked barrel.
also its (357) operating at what 40,000 PSI as compared top 37,500 I think it is for the 38 Super?
different mgs, different breech face. sounds like a lot of work for not a lot of gain to me.
maybe a 9 X 23 would/should be an easier conversion?
but hey its your gun.

It's an easy job to cut a 1911 frame for a ramped barrel. Then you're fully supported, with the correct barrel.

I have CASES of .357SIG ammo in my basement, and I get it for free. That more than makes up for the cost of the conversion, especially when compared to expensive ammo like .38 Super and 9x23.

I've shot several 1911's in .357SIG.

Reactions: BNB
Also, old factory Colt's in .38 Super almost always need a new barrel to makethem accurate. Colt's headspacing on that round back then was terrible.

It's an easy job to cut a 1911 frame for a ramped barrel. Then you're fully supported, with the correct barrel.

I have CASES of .357SIG ammo in my basement, and I get it for free. That more than makes up for the cost of the conversion, especially when compared to expensive ammo like .38 Super and 9x23.

When it gets too crowded down there with all the extra ammo, just let me know. I will take a few cases to free up some space...lol

SO you don't reload then?
the 38 super is basically the same cost to reload as the 380 / 9 X 19 / 357 Sig, as other than case its all the same component generally.
the small amount of powder difference in any of the 9 mm calibers is almost non existent seeing as how a pound of powder has 7000 grains. projectiles/ primers are the same cost.
course IF you get free ammo then that's a better deal.

Also, old factory Colt's in .38 Super almost always need a new barrel to makethem accurate. Colt's headspacing on that round back then was terrible.

also may depend on how old the gun is as the 38 Super long ago head spaced on the rim (its a semi rimmed case) and not the case neck.
I don't remember exactly when they changed that but the 60's comes to mind for some reason.

SO you don't reload then?
the 38 super is basically the same cost to reload as the 380 / 9 X 19 / 357 Sig, as other than case its all the same component generally.
the small amount of powder difference in any of the 9 mm calibers is almost non existent seeing as how a pound of powder has 7000 grains. projectiles/ primers are the same cost.
course IF you get free ammo then that's a better deal.

Why would I reload .38 Super when I get .357SIG (in 3 different loads: Speer Gold Dot, TMJ, and frangible) for FREE? Then I turn my once-fired brass in to GA Arms and GET PAID for it. So, I actually make money by shooting .357SIG.

And yes, I do reload, a dozen or so various pistol and rifle calibers.

also may depend on how old the gun is as the 38 Super long ago head spaced on the rim (its a semi rimmed case) and not the case neck.
I don't remember exactly when they changed that but the 60's comes to mind for some reason.

Even the Colt barrels that headspaced on the case mouth weren't done well. Usually, it takes a new, well-fitted barrel to get an early 1970's Colt to shoot as well as it can. Not always, but usually.

Back
Top Bottom