Colt Detective Special Circa 1972 questions???

Bama21

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
I recently acquired a 1972 nickel plated Colt Detective Special. I like this revolver and was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to clean up the finish? I have silver polish and brasso, but wasn't sure what to use/what works the best? I always soak my guns in machine oil before tackling any major cleaning issues. The finish is about 85%. It is a really nice piece from the era, but I just want to make it a little nicer. I do not want a "high polish" or "bright finish", just free the nickel finish of some of the blemishes. Thanks in advance for any assistance. Yall be safe.

The only product I use on a nickel finish gun is Flitz. After cleaning spray or wipe silicone on it, let it dry and buff. A nickel finish is a "bright finish". I would not "soap the gun in machine oil". Use Hoppes inside the barrel and inside the cylinder, but not on the nickel. If you get Hoppes on the finish, wipe it off. A nickel finish is at its best when it is polished to a "bright finish". This is not stainless. It will shine. I have a Colt Cobra with a nickel finish the pic is below:

i54.tinypic.com_eg2uzo.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Colt JWC! Thanks for the info. I have never used Flitz before, but I just might have to give that a try. I have been soaking guns in oil prior to detail cleaning them for years. Does 3 in 1 oil have an adverse effect on nickel finished guns? Just curious. I have only owned 1 other nickel plated handgun in the past, but I did not do anything to it as I did not keep it very long. Thanks again JWC. Be safe.

Last edited:
There are those who will say that any petroleum based product "can" damage the copper which lies beneath the nickel. I really do not know if that is fact or not, but I will say it seems to me to be more difficult to clean with alot of oil on the nickel. It smears, and will not allow the nickel to shine and shows fingerprints easily. Flitz is a really good product, but while it is not a strong abrasive, it is still abrasive. Rub on the Flitz, not like you are scrubbing, then continue to rub with a clean area of a soft cloth, turning the cloth as it turns black. Continue to rub the area with clean pieces of cloth until no black appears. YES, it is time consuming, but the small surface scratches will disappear. I have even had good success in polishing out "milkey" areas of nickel following the same process. It is not a quick rub and go. It will take time. But once it is cleaned, you will not need to clean it again for up to six months with Flitz. As I said, Flitz is an abrasive polish. So you could damage the nickel if you "over polish" the weapon. But, again, that is not based in fact, just my opinion. Geez, I wrote a book.

Back
Top Bottom