• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Colt stops long gun production. (merged threads)

DF7345A7-1581-494A-BEAC-497263C8F136.jpeg

Announced by the US Department of Defense for 19 September, 2019.

Colt’s Manufacturing Co. LLC, West Hartford, Connecticut, was awarded a $41,924,594 firm-fixed-price Foreign Military Sales (Afghanistan, Bahrain, Djibouti, Federated States of Micronesia, Hungary, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Macedonia, Marshall Islands, Palau, St. Vincent and Grenadines, and Tunisia) contract for production for the M4 and M4A1 carbines. One bid was solicited with one bid received. Work locations and funding will be determined with each order, with an estimated completion date of Sept. 18, 2024. U.S. Army Contracting Command, New Jersey, is the contracting activity (W15QKN-19-D-0116).

https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Contracts/Contract/Article/1966024/

Announced by the US Department of Defense for 19 September, 2019.

Colt’s Manufacturing Co. LLC, West Hartford, Connecticut, was awarded a $41,924,594 firm-fixed-price Foreign Military Sales (Afghanistan, Bahrain, Djibouti, Federated States of Micronesia, Hungary, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Macedonia, Marshall Islands, Palau, St. Vincent and Grenadines, and Tunisia) contract for production for the M4 and M4A1 carbines. One bid was solicited with one bid received. Work locations and funding will be determined with each order, with an estimated completion date of Sept. 18, 2024. U.S. Army Contracting Command, New Jersey, is the contracting activity (W15QKN-19-D-0116).

https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Contracts/Contract/Article/1966024/

One big solicited and one received? FN didn't want that? Seems odd.

I have to believe that there's a couple of levels to this.

Sure, they can score some points with the gun grabbers and their media hacks. Since they are owned and run by bankers and hedge fund managers based out of New York and CT, I'm sure that's a PR 'win' for them.

But at the end of the day this is simply a sign that Colt can't complete in the civilian AR market. This is a company just coming out of bankruptcy and they don't have a lot of wiggle room when it comes to cash flow. A huge chunk of their revenue has to go to paying off their debts every month.

They could keep trying to sell $1000 ARs in a $500 AR market and end up sitting on a pile of inventory, or cut prices to compete and lose money every sale.

I'm not a huge fan-boy of Colt, either company or products, but at the end of the day this simply make sense to keep the company afloat.

And it's not like this will even make a dent in the number of civilian ARs available, so I don't see that as a real argument. It's not like the 'old days' where if you wanted an AR it kind of had to be a Colt.

As far as I'm concerned Colt would be better off getting rid of everything but revolvers, and focusing on those again. That's what made the company what it was, and they have struggled ever since they turned their back on them.

Smith and Wesson makes a decent amount of money in revolvers every year, and Colt could easily do the same if they aren't saddled with also making ho-hum 1911s and overpriced ARs. If they came out with a $2000 Python that was even 80% as good as the original they would have money in the bank for years.

Back
Top Bottom