• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Competency-based Handgun & Carbine, Feb 24-25, Aragon GA

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
Precision Applications, LLC will be holding a Competency-based Handgun & Carbine Course in Aragon GA on Saturday and Sunday, February 24-25, 2018.

Both days will start at 0800hrs and run until approximately 1700hrs, with a 1 hour break for lunch.

Saturday, February 24 is Handgun and Sunday, February 25 is Carbine. You can take one or both days.

This course is unlike the classes we normally offer. Our Competency-based course consists of drills that are timed and scored. Students will be given a copy of all the drills and standards after the course. These drills can be used for practice and to gauge your individual progress over time. The Instructors will show you how to modify the drills to set attainable goals that gradually get more difficult.

The drills will work on such skill sets as drawing/presentations, reloads, use of cover, shooting while moving, multiple threat engagement, weapon transitions, and more.

On Day 1 you will shoot the Tactical Pistol Course for score. On Day 2 you will shoot the Tactical Carbine Course for score. Pass either of the courses and you will be awarded a Challenge Coin.

Day 1 gear list:
Handgun with holster (revolver or semi-automatic)
Magazines/speedloaders. If your handgun holds 12 or more rounds, a minimum of 2 reloads on your person is recommended. If your handgun holds less than 12 rounds, then 4 reloads are recommended
Pouch for your reloading devices
500rds of ammunition
Eye and ear protection
Hat with a front brim
Plenty of water

Day 2 gear list:
Carbine with sling
Handgun with holster, minimum 1 spare mag on your person
600 rounds for the carbine
100 rounds for the handgun
Minimum of 2 carbine magazines on your person for reloads. I recommend at least 8 magazines total for the course.
Eye and ear protection
Hat with a front brim
Plenty of water

Your particular gear is up to you; warbelts, vests, suspenders, etc. Body armor and/or helmets are welcome if you choose to wear them, as are suppressors. Your carbine needs to be sighted in and ready to go, we will not be zeroing.

Dress appropriately for the weather, whatever it will be. Comfortable attire and shoes/boots are a must. Bring plenty of water.

Lunch will be provided on the range, as an option, and will consist of freshly smoked pulled pork, soft drink or water, chips, and dessert on Day 1, and a burger with all the fixings, soft drink or water, chips, and dessert on Day 2. Cost for lunch is $15 per day. Lunch must be requested and paid for when you pay for the course. If you do not wish to purchase lunch, I recommend that you pack a lunch as there are few options in the area.

The course is limited to 20 students. Course fee is $200 for one day, or $350 for both days. Course fees are to be paid in advance. We accept checks, money orders, cash and discrete PayPal (you pay the 3.5% fees). Your spot is not guaranteed until your course fee is received.

Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Semper Fi!

Precision Applications, LLC

One of the good things about this course is that all students will take away the courses of fire with them, as well as being shown how to modify the drills if they need to set attainable goals.

Most shooters “plink” when they go to the range, or practice skills they’ve already mastered. Break this cycle and get the drills that will help you.

This is the only time I plan to offer this course this year.

I was going to bring a Mini-14, the only centerfire tactical carbine I have at the moment. And the only one I have several mags for, but some of those are jam-prone and the pencil marks I used to designate them as problem
mags have worn off.

Then I see that Minis don’t have a good track record when used in your courses:
sad face, $525 voted deal of the day

Quote:
Back when I only taught and attended LE courses, I would see them often, especially in the hands of GBI agents. Every time I saw students with them, I knew they would either fail the course or struggle to pass.”

Pic of 1980’s vintage Mini 14 with some upgrades to make it a better home defense gun and in a side-folding stock to make it easier to carry /transport.

When some self-proclaimed Muslim jihadist called up my place of work and threatened to come in and kill us all (over the company’s investments in Israel),
THIS went to work with me the next few days, rolled up in a blanket.
Linus carries a blanket in those Peanuts comics, but my closest co-workers figured there was a different kind of comforting instrument concealed within.

Attachments

• 5F10B764-C2DE-45D3-B25E-B7052C3A47E1.jpeg
    5F10B764-C2DE-45D3-B25E-B7052C3A47E1.jpeg
    22.5 KB · Views: 7
What`s with the minis? I have a NRA version,bought it from Tech Jacket on here a few years back. I`ve run everything you can buy through it and have never had a malfunction of any kind. Very accurate. Please don`t hijack this thread. I`m not an AR fan,even though I was married to one for a year. I would have to bring my mini to this event.

What`s with the minis? I have a NRA version,bought it from Tech Jacket on here a few years back. I`ve run everything you can buy through it and have never had a malfunction of any kind. Very accurate. Please don`t hijack this thread. I`m not an AR fan,even though I was married to one for a year. I would have to bring my mini to this event.

Bring it and come on!

Pic of 1980’s vintage Mini 14 with some upgrades to make it a better home defense gun and in a side-folding stock to make it easier to carry /transport.

When some self-proclaimed Muslim jihadist called up my place of work and threatened to come in and kill us all (over the company’s investments in Israel),
THIS went to work with me the next few days, rolled up in a blanket.
Linus carries a blanket in those Peanuts comics, but my closest co-workers figured there was a different kind of comforting instrument concealed within.

So how did it run?

It worked reliably and with excellent accuracy with the mags it liked, and ammo it liked (remanufactured brass cased stuff, or Wolf or Silver Bear steel cases stuff.)

I brought several mags with me, some I knew were suspect. Some I thought were good. They were good. Cheap plastic Ram-Line mags that fit both ARs and the Mini 14’s. I should buy more of them.

There are two things about my rifle that make it ill-suited for a closely timed course like this where we were really trying to shoot as if we were in a tactical run -and-gun type competition with a lot of rapid firing and magazine changes on the clock.

First, obviously, the mini 14‘s toe -heel-rock -to -lock magazine design leaves a lot to be desired. That’s simply not a fast way to swap mags while keeping your weapon trained on the target. The AR rifles have a huge advantage here.

Secondly, I really needed a wide-body red dot optic when it came to those shooting while walking (or side-shuffling) drills. Military peep-and-post iron sights aren’t easy to see when you are moving across lumpy ground.

Oh, and a red dot optic would have come in really handy for shooting the weak side shoulder and weak side firing position drills.
I could not get my head close enough to the rear peep sight to see through it properly and get a good view of the target, except when I held a gun on my normal strong side using my normal stance and preferred grip .
I think a non-magnifying red dot is more flexible when it comes to issues like that regarding eye relief and field of view.

I would have preferred that my stock was 1 inch shorter than it actually was.
If I’d had an M4 type carbine I would’ve put the stock in one setting from fully extended. The long length of pull on my mini 14 stock is great for benchrest shooting or slow and accurate shooting from even the standing or sitting positions, but it is not good for rapidly throwing to your shoulder and getting a quick sight picture at 10 yards .

We only shot the carbines once at 25 and once at 18 yards.
All the other shooting with rifles was done at spitting distance: 15, 10 and 7 yards.

I wish there had been at least one stage where we could stretch the rifles out to 150 or 200 yards just so that we have the satisfaction of doing something with the long guns that we couldn’t do with our pistols.

Shep is a good instructor, and an amazingly good shot. He can shoot a group with a pistol as tight as most people could do with a carbine. He can shoot 10 rounds in three seconds and keep them all in the Kill zone of the target.

We had one shooter in our class who passed the tactical carbine challenge course on the first try, and that guy was fun to watch. He used a 9mm carbine. Most of us students, and especially those who don’t regularly compete in tactical or action shooting events, flunked that carbine challenge very quickly, by failing to shoot within the given time limits. (Such as 2 center-of-mass hits within 1.0 seconds after the PacTimer beeps.)

The range was new and clean and with a nice safe berm of dirt /clay.
The area, in Aragon, near plant Bowen, was beautiful farm country. Reminded me of Mayberry from the Andy Griffith show.

Back
Top Bottom