• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Concealed Carry Insurance Policies

Sounds like you've lost before you started....I try and look at it very simple...do you want to die at the hands of another person?....no... so protect yourself....worry about the bull****...after you didn't die

Certainly not lost. Don't plan to die at the hands of some "thug" that wants to harm me or my family.
After the fact is not bull**** any more. Maybe in past years, but not now. If we do not think that the family of
the shot "thug" will not come after us financially and civilly, we have our head in the sand. Just looking at the whole picture, and, for me, it goes beyond shooting the "thug". Yep, I agree, I will protect myself and my family first. But if we think that our actions will not be severely scrutinized and investigated for the potential of filing charges against us, then, again, we are putting our head in the sand...

There's lots of decent advice in those threads I listed above, and there's lots of different options.

The main thing to realize is that since you cannot legally buy 'insurance' for criminal cases (like homeowners pays for civil), these are all reimbursement plans of some sort or another. You want to make sure that if you have to pay some upfront costs you have the money to do it.

Some will provide a lawyer up front, but does that lawyer work for you, or for the 'insurance company'? There could be a conflict of interest there.

Others will pay for YOUR lawyer, but that means being pro-active and knowing a good self-defense lawyer... Not an easy tasks since there are very few lawyers that even practice in that area (not enough cases).

Personally, I use these guys since they were the first to come out with any kind of plan to protect people in self defense cases. They also have a long track record and well-known members on their advisory board. The price is very reasonable and you get a lot of training information as part of your membership.

https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

I agree, concealed carry is the immediate insurance. But the way that our society is today, thanks to our sorry leadership in Washington, if I shoot someone is self defense, I am not sure that I will not be charged with some crime. Supposedly these companies stand your bail immediately, provide lawyers for your defense, fund you if you are out of work, etc.. Go to USCCA web site to review all that it covers. Like I said, there are also some other companies in this business. I have not bought into one of these policies yet. I was hoping to find someone on this forum that has experience with one of the companies.
Rather be judged by 12 than Carried by 6.

Kind of an old platitude.

Not wrong, but you won't be 'judged by 12'... you will be 'judged by 1', the DA. Or if you are really unlucky (say Zimmerman unlucky) you will be 'judged by millions'.

And by the time you really are being 'judged by 12' will you have the money to defend yourself there too? The 'typical' self defense case that goes to trial costs roughly $80,000.

If you don't have a reimbursement plan like one of these where's that money coming from? Your house? Your kid's college fund? Your retirement fund?

And God help you if you end up on the national news. It's estimated Zimmerman's defense cost well over a million dollars. His attorney basically worked for free, but he still lost everything he had and will be in massive debt until the day he dies.

Sometimes the aftermath is as bad as the attack itself...

Back
Top Bottom