• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Contact the ATF to keep pistol braces legal (merged threads)

All of the short barrel rifle laws a flipping stupid. They aren’t more dangerous than a real hand gun and are a waste of tax payer dollars to enforce stupid laws.

Not holding my breath. Read the paragraph that talks about the legitimate uses of a brace and disabled vets and all that.

What the ATF could end up doing, would be to simply say that yes, disabled vets and people with handicaps can use braces on their pistols. And that's all.

The problem is that the braces were approved under the promise of disabled people using them to shoot 1 handed. And since then, more than 99% of the braces have been sold and used by people NOT disabled, who are shooting them two handed, from the shoulder...

They made an exception for a specific use case, and we took that as a loophole to circumvent the law and went crazy with them and now the ATF has caught on...
If you read the 1934 gun control act in it's entirety you'll realize it's not the ATF making up crazy laws, it's the ATF trying to interpret a 1934 law to mix in with modern modular firearms.

I don't know that there was any kind of exception made. I know of no law saying you cannot have a brace that fits your glock that wraps around your wrist. The problem as I see it is that there are a lot of so called braces being sold that were not approved and the manufacturers are selling them with a wink and a nod knowing they are being used as stocks.

Not gonna lie. I remember reading that "occasionally shouldering a brace does not change it's purpose or reconfigure it into a stock" or something to that effect, and thought ok, as long as I don't modify it, a brace is a brace and my touching my shoulder to it doesn't change what it is.

So me, like 5 million other people, went and built and bought "pistols" and have been enjoying them.
But how many of us are disabled and shooting them one handed?

Probably none of us reading this I would guess...

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

It’ll never happen but that law needs to go away and not get replaced.

Looks like they pulled it (for now)

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/g...rftmyzFtM3h47C05OaRvNm0UB9by1rrlmXpLXka-yjVRc

ATF is announcing the withdrawal of a notice and request for comments entitled “Objective Factors for Classifying Weapons with ‘Stabilizing Braces’,” that was published on December 18, 2020.

Link to PDF HERE

Upon further consultation with the Department of Justice and the Office of the Deputy Attorney General, ATF is withdrawing, pending further Department of Justice review, the notice and request for comments entitled “Objective Factors for Classifying Weapons with ‘Stabilizing Braces’,” that was published on December 18, 2020. 85 FR 82516. As explained in the notice, the proposed guidance was not a regulation. The notice informed and invited comment from the industry and public on a proposed guidance prior to issuing a final guidance document.

The withdrawal of the guidance does not change any law, regulation, or other legally binding requirement.

December 23, 2020

Marvin G. Richardson

Back
Top Bottom