• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Contemplating an AR build, but not in .223/5.56

HerkyBird

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
5   0
Reaction score
First of all, I love my AK. However, I'm thinking it might be nice to have one of each (AK and AR). You know; for scientific research on the great AK vs. AR debate. Ergo, I'm thinking of building an AR, most likely in 5.45 just because it's so dang cheap. I did this once before. I put a Model 1 5.45 kit on a DTI lower. I stripped her back down and sold Sally (that was her name) before I had the opportunity to fire round #1 out of her. Now I've gotten the itch again. Admittedly, I am no AR expert; so those of you who are, help me out with the following:

Building a 5.45 AR: I know any 5.56 lower will do. Which do you recommend? Spikes, DTI, etc? As far as uppers are concerned, which do you suggest? I never shot the build I had, so I have no idea if the M1 kit was any good. Or perhaps I would just be better off buying the S&W M&P in 5.45. Any experience with those? I know how to clean a weapon after shooting corrosive surplus ammo, but how is cleaning an AR after shooting corrosive surplus? Too much of a pain to be worth it?

What about a 7.62x39 AR? I have plenty of feed lying around for Karina (my AK), so this would a much more economical choice. I have absolutely 0 experience with these, though. Again, M1 has plenty of offerings in 7.62x39. Who else does?

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Herky

7.62 x 39 ARs suffer from magazine issues (ie there aren't any great ones).

Buy a S&W 5.45 gun and be done with it. At the end of the day, you can always call S&W and tell them to fix the gun if it doesn't work. You can't do that with your home built gun.

ARs are easy to clean, they just require it. For corrosive ammo it's easy as you can access the receiver area very easy along with being able easily clean the barrel.

Buy a S&W 5.45 gun and be done with it. At the end of the day, you can always call S&W and tell them to fix the gun if it doesn't work. You can't do that with your home built gun.

ARs are easy to clean, they just require it. For corrosive ammo it's easy as you can access the receiver area very easy along with being able easily clean the barrel.

You raise a very valid and strong point. You know Smith will stand behind their product.

Very sound advice here. Building an ar in cailbers other than 5.56 can be tricky. The 5.45 requires a heavy buffer along with other things. Plus what he said, if it does not work you can't just send it back like you can with a factory built ar. Its best to know how to take out the trigger group if you are planning to shoot corrosive 5.45 ammo. Which with you having built one you should be fine.

After much looking I went with the piston driven adams arms 5.45 upper. Running corrosive ammo I felt better about having a piston upper. They are not cheap though. Looking around 700 buck for just the upper. That kind of money you can almost buy a whole smith and wesson 5.45 rifle but you get what you pay for. Plus there are tons of mag options with the 5.45 . More than the 7.62x39

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom