Converted Saiga 12 Questions

grandall1972

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
249   0
Reaction score
Just got my first Converted Saiga 12 and have 2 questions.

1. It came with a drum mag, and its really loose, and having some feeding issues. If I hold it just right it feeds fine, but if not it tries to tare the shell when feeding. Looks like too much was possibly taken off the promag when fitting. Any ideas on how to remedy the issue, or is the mag shot?

2. Pictures from a video taken below show pretty good flame coming back through the chamber when firing rapidly. Is this common, or an issue with timing, improper shell seating, or other? Looks cool in the video, but have only seen one other video where this happened to someone else, but it was not mentioned in the comments.

Thanks again for the help and knowledge.

IMG_4655.PNG
IMG_4656.PNG

If you go frame by frame on the video the shell is ejected and then the flame appears. Almost like a back draft. Shell is not on fire as it comes out, and there is no real signs of anything before the shell is ejected.

I left my Saiga unconverted. The drum fits well and I have no feeding issues.
I've seen lots of pictures of what I look like when shooting a 3 gun match and I've never seen one with a flame coming back through the chamber.

Now even when stock, the gas knob had at least 2 settings that I recall.
One for hot loads and one for light loads.

Shooting a match you want the lightest loads so I picked up a replacement for that knob with more settings and a really large hole so I could shoot the light stuff.

I'll take a guess here and say the setting on that knob is set too light for the round you were shooting.
I'd imagine if it was too light you're venting way too much gas back and probably beating up the trunion as well.
So I'd turn the knob to a higher setting (smaller hole for returning gas) and take another video to see if it stopped.

If you have other magazines that fit well, then the drums been hurt.
Easy enough to take off material, a lot harder to add some, but it can be done.
You could probably put some epoxy on it then file it till it fits tight.

Wish I could help you more, I love this gun, but I loved it just the way I bought it since I'm part shot gunner anyway.
All I did was change that knob and put on a muzzle break, it just doesn't "feel" like a shotgun for me if it has a pistol grip on it ....

By the way no video is posted, just two still shots is all I see.

Those are pictures taken from the video. Couldn't get the video to load.

Was shooting 2 3/4 shells, 7 1/2 and 8 shot, 1255 fps and 1200 fps. Both were 1oz or 1 1/8 oz loads. Setting on the gas knob was set at the lightest 3 which was recommended to me for light loads. Has 4 settings 1-, 1+, 2 and 3. I'll try again and set it to 2 or 1+. See if it's still getting fire.

Those are pictures taken from the video. Couldn't get the video to load.

Was shooting 2 3/4 shells, 7 1/2 and 8 shot, 1255 fps and 1200 fps. Both were 1oz or 1 1/8 oz loads. Setting on the gas knob was set at the lightest 3 which was recommended to me for light loads. Has 4 settings 1-, 1+, 2 and 3. I'll try again and set it to 2 or 1+. See if it's still getting fire.

I'd consider that a light load and be on my lightest setting, but maybe that's not quite right for your gun.
So try the highest setting that it will work consistently.
Whatever setting that would be, would be the "right" setting.

I'd consider that a light load and be on my lightest setting, but maybe that's not quite right for your gun.
So try the highest setting that it will work consistently.
Whatever setting that would be, would be the "right" setting.

Thanks, at the time I was shooting I was focused on figuring out why the drum was not working 100%. Noticed the flames afterwards. Both stick mags worked great. I like the idea of adding a little apoxy and refiling the pro mag to get it to seat properly. Right now there is about an 8th of play in the mag? Do like the gun though, if I can get the drum working great I'll love the gun. 75 rounds go fast though.

Thanks, at the time she f shooting I was focused on figuring out why the drum was not working 100%. Both stick mags worked great. I like the idea of adding a little apoxy and refiling the pro mag to get it to seat properly. Right now there is about an 8th of play in the mag? Do like the gun though, if I can get the drum working great I'll love the gun. 75 rounds go fast though.

Oh yeah it'll eat ammo, lol.
Love that damned drum though, but just the fact it's magazine fed puts me in the open class.
I put a cheap red dot on it just for giggles and have never replaced it.
If I can see the clay, pepper popper or steel anywhere in the window I just pull the trigger and it's hit, lol.
Really fun gun. Would be a hell of a gun to be facing in any kind of scenario.

Only draw back is the bolt not staying open when the last round is fired, but at least it has the bolt hold open lever.
You can get pretty fast at dropping the mag, locking the bolt, loading a new mag and dropping the bolt.
Still way faster than thumbing in rounds ....

I kicked around doing the mod to hold the bolt open on the last round and decided against it.
It's not that important to me...

Back
Top Bottom