• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Coronavirus Pandemic (many threads merged)

Is the Coronavirus going to cause a pandemic in the USA?

• Yes

Votes: 197 43.4%
  • No

Votes: 127 28.0%
  • Too Early to guess

Votes: 130 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I guess I'm just seeing this as a sky is falling scenario. The government and media did the same thing a few years ago with the Ebola outbreak when people that were exposed came to the US. IN fact the same rhetoric on this site back when that happened is happening in this thread. Even the post about infected refugees coming in. Same thing happened with the Ebola virus. Then it was contained and nothing happened. Same as when the SARS pandemic happened in '02. Same thing and it was contained with only 750 deaths worldwide. So again, neither of the last two big pandemic scares resulted in more deaths than the common flu does every year.

Of course I have preparations and supplies on hand for SHTF scenarios. But I'm not about to go hit up the Kroger for bread and milk over this. Not yet. I still think it's a bit too early to see.
Good thought, but I prefer to “panic early, panic often”.
If you get too far behind the curve and things do go to crap, you’ll never catch up.
Anti-viral masks are already sold out.

I guess I'm just seeing this as a sky is falling scenario. The government and media did the same thing a few years ago with the Ebola outbreak when people that were exposed came to the US. IN fact the same rhetoric on this site back when that happened is happening in this thread. Even the post about infected refugees coming in. Same thing happened with the Ebola virus. Then it was contained and nothing happened. Same as when the SARS pandemic happened in '02. Same thing and it was contained with only 750 deaths worldwide. So again, neither of the last two big pandemic scares resulted in more deaths than the common flu does every year.

Of course I have preparations and supplies on hand for SHTF scenarios. But I'm not about to go hit up the Kroger for bread and milk over this. Not yet. I still think it's a bit too early to see.

Certainly too early. No need to be overly concerned but does bear watching and checking over/bolstering basic food stores and buying a couple preparatory n95 masks. Ebola was never a concern because it has an r0 of less than 1. That means the disease will die out and is easy to contain. This is different. Most people who panic aren't informed enough to even know why they are panicking :)

What have you seen that you feel is inaccurate and alarmist?

What have you seen that you feel is inaccurate and alarmist?
Not necessarily inaccurate, as I've said I think this is a bad virus, but more of a blowing it out of proportion thing with the media. Most pathologists agree that this coronavirus is not as bad as SARS or MERS and those did not end up being the the end of the world pandemics people thought they would be at the time either. I know I sound like a broken record, but again, the common flu still kills more people world wide than any of these three viruses have so far. I'm just saying it's not time to start living in the bunker just yet.

The irony of it here on this site is, just months ago there was a thread about the flu, and most here would not get the vaccine because either A, they aren't worried about it, and B, they don't think it works. Yet now we're having discussions about the cornavirus and whether this is a SHTF scenario or not. Just my .02!

Source: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/how-new-wuhan-coronavirus-stacks-up-against-sars-mers

The Chinese just don’t want to admit that this virus escaped from their bio-warfare lab in Wuhan.
Not a big deal, our folks lose stuff too.

iu

Not necessarily inaccurate, as I've said I think this is a bad virus, but more of a blowing it out of proportion thing with the media. Most pathologists agree that this coronavirus is not as bad as SARS or MERS and those did not end up being the the end of the world pandemics people thought they would be at the time either. I know I sound like a broken record, but again, the common flu still kills more people world wide than any of these three viruses have so far. I'm just saying it's not time to start living in the bunker just yet.

The irony of it here on this site is, just months ago there was a thread about the flu, and most here would not get the vaccine because either A, they aren't worried about it, and B, they don't think it works. Yet now we're having discussions about the cornavirus and whether this is a SHTF scenario or not. Just my .02!

Source: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/how-new-wuhan-coronavirus-stacks-up-against-sars-mers
Appreciate your viewpoint, but that source article is from 4 days ago, 60 deaths, 1000 infected. Todays’s count over 100 dead, 4500 infected. Pretty dramatic increase. Granted, that’s in an area that’s densely populated and have a lot more contact with others, but those don’t seem to be rookie numbers.

Appreciate your viewpoint, but that source article is from 4 days ago, 60 deaths, 1000 infected. Todays’s count over 100 dead, 4500 infected. Pretty dramatic increase. Granted, that’s in an area that’s densely populated and have a lot more contact with others, but those don’t seem to be rookie numbers.
Yeah I see that it's a few days old and didn't age well. I guess we'll see how quickly they get it under control or not.

Back
Top Bottom