• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Could someone please help me identify this "KA-bar"?

A34

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
16   0
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I got this old knife years ago at a gun show. It says KA-Bar on it, and has Olean, NY on the blade, but is it a military knife or one made for aftermarket civilian sales? Anyone know an approximate date range they were made?

WP_20161027_024.jpg
WP_20161027_023.jpg
WP_20161027_027.jpg
WP_20161027_029.jpg

Thanks!!
A34

It is one of the newer KaBars. Made probably in the late 70s or early 80s by the parked blade. Also if you look at the pommel you will see the pin only goes in from one side. Pinned millitary KaBars have the pin which goes all the way through. Also the sheath is from the newer run. No sheath's marked as such were from the WWII period.
This said despite what you will see at the gunshows as Uncle Billy's KaBar that he carried on Sipan and Tinian.
Still one heck of a knife.

Thanks! I thought it was a postwar civilian knife. It is a good quality knife. I looked at some recent reproductions and they're junk. Naturally, they weren't made in the US. :(

IMG_20161028_103142.jpg
Looks just like the one @FrogHunter sent me. Hell of a good knife! I have a similar one from Ontario Knife Company with an ugly black handle. But it's still American made. And I found it in a car we scrapped out years ago. So the price was right.

Back
Top Bottom