Crappy day for budget rifle scopes

NWSharpshooter

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
563   0
Reaction score
So, I took the whole family shooting today, and I have recently built up a target 10/22 that I put a Tasco Varmint 6-24x42 I had laying around on. I don't know where I got the scope, but I figured it would be good enough for a 10/22. The good news is that my new build was throwing groups the size of a dime at 50 yrds. The bad news is, it was not repeatable. I would get the scope zero'd, shoot for a bit and then notice I had lost my zero. My rings were junk, so I figured I would pick up some new rings on the way home, and hopefully remedy the problem.

So I picked up some new Leupold high rings on the way home and sat down to swap out the rings. Got the new rings mounted, put the scope in the rings and hand tightened them and shouldered the rifle to work at getting the scope level. I'll be damned if one of the lenses wasn't loose. I guess on the ride home I hit a bump and actually turned the lens so I could see it through the scope.

Also, while shooting my AR today topped of with a primary arms red dot that I bought a while back because they were so highly recomended, I popped up my buis to co witness, only to witness the red dot moving all over the damn lens every time I pulled the trigger. One shot it would be to the left of my sights, the next it was to the right. How frustrating.

I am done with budget optics. I can't stand cheap junk that doesn't work. I put both scopes in a box and figure I will shoot through them next time at the rang with my 10/22 once I get the new scope sighted in for it.

Wanting to shoot it again soon, I went to my safe and pulled out my Ruger #1 in 6mm that had a Leupold Vari-x IIc 4-12x40 on it that I have not shot in 5 years, pulled the scope off of it, and put it on my 10/22. I have been wanting to put a nicer scope on the 6mm for years anyway, and that Leupold looks great on top of the 10/22.

Now, what to put on a Vintage #1 that wont look stupid, but will preform to the capabilities of such a fine rifle, chambered in such a fine cartridge.

Any thoughs?

Look at the Sightron line of scopes. I have them on several ARs', in various calibers and have had great results. I also have a Target Dot 6X24 on a custom 700 in .308 that's far superior to the Vari XII that it replaced. They are very affordable but great quality. I've also been really surprised by the 3X9 Burris Timberline, it's a compact with incredible eye relief. SWFA has been running them for $119.00ea. I've bought 4 of them so far. I think one of the Burris would look good sitting atop a #1. I may be able to send a photo if I get mine back soon. I have a 25-06 #1 at Ruger being refinished for free due some contaminated wood used when they manufactured it 34 years ago. For a company not to have a warranty on their products Ruger sure stands behind them. I was thinking of using some Quick detach rings to make swapping easier, so I could put 1 of the Burris on for deer hunting and be able to stick a high power on for longer range varminting. The 6mm is a great round, it just fell victim to some poor marketing early on in it's life. What's the primary use for the Ruger? Being a 6mm, it's like my 06', more than qualified for whitetail and crows, coyotes, and such.

I just got a redfield scope specifically for the 22lr round. It's called a Battle Zone, put it on a 10/22 also. Not used it yet, but paid 120 or so for it.

I like the Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44AO 1/8 moa
Thats what I look through on my heavy 243 & 220 swift.
I Love them Nikons. Crystal clear and both have been mounted for over 20 years with zero issues.

I definitely don't understand how people spend good money on a firearm and then go cheap on optics. I think it must be a learning curve as you and I have both learned. I could use several more good optics, but I'd rather have iron sights until the budget allows for the purchase of something decent.

Pay once cry once. I put a Leupold vxii on a Sendero in 1992. Shot it a bit, then moved all over the country for the next 18 years. Pulled it out a year ago, fired three rounds from the last box of reloads I was shooting in 1993 and I was not surprised to see it hit the bull @200 yards. Buy decent optics if you are going to use them.

Back
Top Bottom