• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cross eye dominant

This is an interesting discussion. I never considered going to the trouble to make myself learn something that goes against my right handedness. So I'm enjoying the idea of it, though I'd never go there.

For me, just a little squint of the left eye fixed my issue. Y'all say 'don't fix something that ain't broke", but learning to shoot left handed is fixing something that's broke, and so is squint, tape, or whatever.

Its all about ease for me. I'm so glad I had an instructor who taught me to squint, which I let off on once shooting. Its learning one way or the other.

Handguns can be shot across the way, but not a rifle comfortably. My shotgun shooting that day was 'fixed' in a matter of minutes easily. But learning to use my left hand would be possible but take more effort. Then there's the gun issues. I'd never go that route, but that's just my humble opinion.

Good discussion guys. Happy New Years!!

Edit: I can definitely see how shooting a bolt gun left handed would be better.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I'm right handed and left eye dominant....all my life I've closed my left eye(self taught...nobody to show me anything diffrent)& I've always hit my target....some say keep both eyes open,but I can't seem to do that

right handed, left eye dominant as well. There is no reason to do anything other than teach him to shoot. I shoot pistols right handed and left eyed, no big deal. I shoot rifles left handed.

The important thing is get him ambidextrous stocks for his rifles. If you get left-hand sets they pretty much make the rifle his.

Same here.
I had a hard time learning to shoot when i was little because people kept trying to "help me learn to use the correct hand". Once my Pop figured out that i needed to shoot left handed, it all came together for me.

I can shoot right handed bolt actions and semi autos with no issses. Only challenge i have is that i don't like to shoot rifles with thumbhole stocks and some of the really short rifles like AKs eject the brass too close to my face

Life will be simpler overall if you can match the eye and hand, everything just works better since that's the way most rifles were designed. He's young enough it won;t be a problem aligning these two... As mentioned, a little tape should do it.

I'm right handed and left eye dominate. I started shooting when I was 5 years old.
I wanted to hold the rifle left handed, and nobody tried to change me.
I have 2 Nephews from 2 different brothers that are the same way, none of my children do anything left handed.

I can shoot right handed, but I'm just not as fast getting on target as shooting left handed.

Actually children should be taught to shoot both right and left handed.
You never know, "you could put your eye out".

shooting since 5, really impressive.

shooting since 5, really impressive.[/QUOT

I could also start a fire.:shocked: I did use matches, I hadn't fine tuned the skill of rubbing sticks together.:mmph:
Kids were a lot smarter, back then, and firearms never killed anybody.:wacko:
There were loaded guns behind every door also. Somehow we managed to survive without any of them killing us during the night.:thumb:

maybe having him join the boys scout could help him be a little like you.

I doubt it, but it probably wouldn't hurt.
I tried the BS, just to have an excuse to leave the house. It bored me, so I just went about being a juvenile delinquent, shooting **** and building fires.:wacko:

Back
Top Bottom