• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Curious where people draw the line money wise when it comes to care for your dog?

Whatever it takes. If I adopted the animal, it is my responsibility to give it the best quality of life I can afford. Just recently had to put down a cat with incurable kidney failure. She was a money pit from the day we picked her out at the shelter, including $1500 radioactive iodine treatments for thyroid problems.
Could probably put another kid through college with what I’ve spent on pets in my lifetime.
Still miss my boa constrictor and alligator.

Depends on the dog and situation. If it's a family dog with strong attachment then my wife has more say than me. She probably has a higher comfort zone on investment, however, if I took on the responsibility, I would ere on the side of doing what I can within reason. If it's a working dog I would have to weigh the value the dog brings and the total investment to date along with the cost and time to replace. Also, for a significant investment, I would want to know the likely results. Ex. Am I extending life for 6 months? What will the dogs quality of life be post care? Etc. Really too many variables to answer without a specific case to evaluate.

What kind of dog? He is beautiful.
He was a pit bull/weimaraner mix. He was an impulse decision; on the way home from work I stopped at Walmart to grab something before heading home and there was a family with a box of puppies. In hindsight, I wish I could have taken them all. I called and told my wife what I did and she was PISSED......until she held him for the first time. The most gentle dog I've ever been around. Miss him terribly.

I hear people say dogs (or other animals) can't "love." I say they're full of shyte and if it isn't love the animals are showing? I don't think we deserve to have a word for it because it's a far superior devotion than anything we experience from people outside of our mothers.

I couldn't and wouldn't put a price on it.
I always tell them to shut there wife and dog in the trunk of car for a couple hours.and see which one is glad to see you when you open it.

He was a pit bull/weimaraner mix. He was an impulse decision; on the way home from work I stopped at Walmart to grab something before heading home and there was a family with a box of puppies. In hindsight, I wish I could have taken them all. I called and told my wife what I did and she was PISSED......until she held him for the first time. The most gentle dog I've ever been around. Miss him terribly.

I’m sorry to hear it man. It is very difficult. Well, at least he had a great home. Too many dogs don’t have that.

Back
Top Bottom