• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Curious where people draw the line money wise when it comes to care for your dog?

Only had 3 pets in my adult life. The cat and first dog had to get taken to the movies. The last dog was a great dog but we just couldn’t care for her so she went back to the in-laws (which was better angle the dog anyways)

Personally, it comes down to quality of life for the animal and not my selfish desires to keep them around at all costs. Some people love their animals too much to the point the animal is suffering because the owner refuses to make the final decision. I have one 70+ year old neighbor that had a 14yr old Weimaraner that belonged to her deceased husband. The dog had lost all it's fur (spitting image of chupacabra) and was barely eating. It could not make it down her stairs. A few times I had to go over to her house and carry the dog down her steps. This lady called me one day because this poor old dog just collapsed on her floor and wouldn't get up. I picked this dog up and placed it in her car so she could take it to the Vet. I flat out told her "It's time to put her down". I know you love the dog but she is suffering. The ****ing Vet convinced her to keep shoving medicine and shots into the dog to keep it going. Some Vets need to be kicked in the junk! We have another neighbor who's dog was 16yrs old, blind, skin problems, no teeth and had to be carried up and down the stairs. She only fed the dog hot dogs. It's a personal decision for us all.

Personally, it comes down to quality of life for the animal and not my selfish desires to keep them around at all costs. Some people love their animals too much to the point the animal is suffering because the owner refuses to make the final decision. I have one 70+ year old neighbor that had a 14yr old Weimaraner that belonged to her deceased husband. The dog had lost all it's fur (spitting image of chupacabra) and was barely eating. It could not make it down her stairs. A few times I had to go over to her house and carry the dog down her steps. This lady called me one day because this poor old dog just collapsed on her floor and wouldn't get up. I picked this dog up and placed it in her car so she could take it to the Vet. I flat out told her "It's time to put her down". I know you love the dog but she is suffering. The ****ing Vet convinced her to keep shoving medicine and shots into the dog to keep it going. Some Vets need to be kicked in the junk! We have another neighbor who's dog was 16yrs old, blind, skin problems, no teeth and had to be carried up and down the stairs. She only fed the dog hot dogs. It's a personal decision for us all.
I completely agree, we had two dogs that we rescued from a shelter that was closing (and going to euthanize all of the animals they had), we got them two weeks apart when they were 4-6 weeks old. 14 years later we had to put them down two weeks apart, we could have kept them alive longer, but they were unable to function without help (e.g., couldn't climb stairs or make it outside on their own) or control their bowels/bladder and the doctor wanted to start them on cancer treatments. It was a no go for us, not because of the money, but because at the end of the day, they were miserable and not able to enjoy life....it would have been selfish to keep them around just for our benefit.

I hear people say dogs (or other animals) can't "love." I say they're full of shyte and if it isn't love the animals are showing? I don't think we deserve to have a word for it because it's a far superior devotion than anything we experience from people outside of our mothers.

I couldn't and wouldn't put a price on it.
Where's that dadgum Amen button?????

For me, there is no line. I had a Springer/Lab mix that contracted Auto-Immune Hemolytic Anemia and required regular blood transfusions..... He got them usually from a Great Dane puppy as long as he could tolerate them. Cost thousands and worth every penny...

He was the only living thing that showed me love and affection during a really messy divorce from a Dog-Hating Booze Hound and he literally kept me from doing something permanent and selfish. He saved my life. I would have ended it right there without him. He deserved the same from me as long as he was better post transfusion. He let me know when it was his time.

I still get misty thinking of him and it's been 24 years. RIP, my Best Friend... I'll see you when it's MY time.

Back
Top Bottom