• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CZ Scorpions and the current SBR ruling and prices today

spistols

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
310   0
Reaction score
So what is going on with the CZ Scorpion Evo 3 S1? Been looking at them for the past year. I know with the brace ban they are mostly not being advertised with the brace, used and new. Can a regular folding stock be put on without it being classified as an NFA item? If so, have the prices on these stocks jumped up?

The reason I ask is because I am seeing some low prices on these NEW, one is as low as $799 shipped. What am I missing and what is needed?

I am not well versed in the "is it an SBR/Pistol/Rifle" category. I prefer a rifle, not an SBR or Pistol. I never cared for braces.

If you put a stock on it with it being less than 16 inches in barrel length, you created a NFA SBR.

If you put a 16 inch barrel on it with the folder, then you are fine but it would look weird.

Regardless if you make it anything other than a pistol then it becomes an SBR. You can put a metal end cap on it though!

Seems the base price is approaching what I paid for my two CZ Scorpion Evo 3 S1 2016 Models, both in black and just under $700 each, delivered. Neither came with a foldable brace kit at that price but did include an adapter and buffer tube.

Under the January 31st "Factoring Criteria" rule, they can no longer sell nor can you add the brace without going the NFA route. As they are selling it, it remains a pistol.

The Scorpion was called out specifically in the new rule (mentioned 19 times) and it was inferred that the buffer tube served no purpose other than that the “brace” device or other rearward attachment on AK-type pistol serves only to extend the surface of the firearm rearward to allow shouldering. I would tread lightly with installing anything on the rearward attachment.

This will sound silly to many, but I'm still holding out on sending the ATF a list of exactly what I own. Especially if it is something that was legal a couple of months ago and isn't now. If this insanity is not blocked in court by April 30, I guess I will break down and file the form 1's cause what is a law abiding citizen to do?
Unhappy and Pissed off Midnite

I believe I saw the carbine version has been discontinued.
It looks like a good possibility. There are none available from distributors right now. PSA is blowing out the pistol versions. I got an email from Sport's South last week saying that since CZ is now owned by the same parent company as Colt, they have decided to adopt Colt's policies of not selling to anyone but stocking dealers with a store front. They just lost a lot of business. I guess the 20 or 30 of their guns I sold last year is not much to them though.

Back
Top Bottom