• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CZ SP-01 Phantom 9mm

This is an old thread, but I am a new owner of a slightly used all factory stock Phantom SP 01. So, here are my thoughts after 200 rounds.

In its stock form, it does everything it ought to do, and does it very well.

It is light, accurate, thin, and very ergonomic.

The biggest negative issue: The double action trigger pull on the first shot is smooth, but REALLY HEAVY and long. It is heavier than a S&W revolver. The SA trigger pull is long, requires a long reset, but is smooth and light. Keep in mind this gun came to me used—it looks to have been fired at least 500 rounds.

The rest of the gun is great, just like the guys posting here before me have stated.

The best thing about the gun: It will fire the hardest of military primers. I have some surplus military 9mm that Sigs, Glocks, and 1911s with factory springs simply cannot fire. I have owned three guns in 20 years that can shoot these bullets: A Browning Hi Power was 100%, a Marlin Camp 9 rifle was 100%, and this gun is only 85% but the DA/SA hammer fired system allows all the trigger pulling attempts you want. It seems to work 100% on the second trigger pull. The HiPower had a 32 pound hammer spring, the Marlin was ??, the CZ uses a 25 pound spring. 1911’s, Glocks, and Sigs hit with a lot less force on the primer.

I only have this ammo because a distributor mislead me and would not take it back, unless I paid the shipping fee. It has taken me 20 years to work my way through the 2500 bullets.

As far as comparing it to other guns: I do not think it will “kill” any Glocks or 1911’s in competition. Glocks are easier to shoot and easier to shoot faster; a 1911 will always have the best trigger; it is not as cleanly engineered as a Sig or HK.

Given the fact that I like the SA/DA for personal carry. I believe CZ Phantom SP 01 is a better carry gun than a full sized 1911 or Glock, and almost as good as the higher priced Sig P series or HK USP type pistols.

Back
Top Bottom