• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Daily Dinner thread?

From 2 nights ago:

I bought a pack of 2 big ol chuck roasts, was gonna throw em in the crock pot for Mississippi Roast.

Tonight I decided, ya know what? I'm gonna throw em on the grill like 2 huge steaks.

Marinated for about an hour with lemon juice, lime juice, salt, pepper, garlic powder, soy sauce, olive oil, Worcestershire, a shot of Sriracha.

Smoked em on the Rectec at 400° for a little over an hour. Pulled the wife's at 155° and pulled mine at 145°. I like my steaks med rare but I thought the chucks would be tough. Hers is more tender but neither are as tough as the internet would have you believe.

Flavor is off the charts between the marinade and the smoke. Would I have it everyday in place of a nice ribeye? No. But would I do it again if I don't have a nice steak ready for the grill? Oh yeah.

Just gotta cut all the muscle groups separate, trim some fat, and then you can cut it all against the grain...

20231116_191105.jpg
20231116_191109.jpg
20231116_191355.jpg
20231116_191828.jpg

DAMN. IT. BOY.

Today I seasoned up some beef broth with Lane's, threw the leftovers in the Dutch oven at 350°. I didn't watch the time, little more than an hour.

Fall apart tender.

Toasted the rolls in the pan, covered with cheese/onions/bell peppers. Oh my God. You know mine is the one with double cheese and the au jus poured over the top and eaten with a knife and fork...

20231118_143350.jpg
20231118_143211.jpg
20231118_142757.jpg
20231118_142155.jpg
20231118_123356.jpg

From 2 nights ago:

I bought a pack of 2 big ol chuck roasts, was gonna throw em in the crock pot for Mississippi Roast.

Tonight I decided, ya know what? I'm gonna throw em on the grill like 2 huge steaks.

Marinated for about an hour with lemon juice, lime juice, salt, pepper, garlic powder, soy sauce, olive oil, Worcestershire, a shot of Sriracha.

Smoked em on the Rectec at 400° for a little over an hour. Pulled the wife's at 155° and pulled mine at 145°. I like my steaks med rare but I thought the chucks would be tough. Hers is more tender but neither are as tough as the internet would have you believe.

Flavor is off the charts between the marinade and the smoke. Would I have it everyday in place of a nice ribeye? No. But would I do it again if I don't have a nice steak ready for the grill? Oh yeah.

Just gotta cut all the muscle groups separate, trim some fat, and then you can cut it all against the grain...

View attachment 6491815View attachment 6491816View attachment 6491817View attachment 6491818
I have been grilling chuck roasts for years. It's not tender but the flavor is outstanding. I use seasoned meat tenderizer and a fork to jab the crap out of it. One of my favorite meals.

I have been grilling chuck roasts for years. It's not tender but the flavor is outstanding. I use seasoned meat tenderizer and a fork to jab the crap out of it. One of my favorite meals.
I'm gonna do it again. Like you said, the flavor is sooo good. I'll make changes and try to improve it now that I know it's worth having again. Maybe marinade longer and let the acid do its magic or try one of the seasoned tenderizers like you did. Which one do you like? Do you go high on the internal temp to let it break down? I wasn't sure if I should try and shoot for a nice medium or take it high like a brisket.

Back
Top Bottom