• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Damn expensive hobbies!

Yea, to me a knife is just a tool. Some are purdy to look at. I guess the most I ever spent on a knife was $50. I was working at a mall at the time. There was a knife shop I'd go by and look every once in a while. There was a Parker engraved with stag handles, kind of looked like a folding Bowie. In the box, beautiful knife. It was $200. I'd look at it through the case every time I visited the store. I watched the knife get marked down to $100. Then one day on my birthday I was walking the mall with my wife and I wanted to show her that knife, just to look. Well it was marked down to $50. I looked at my wife and she said go ahead. So I bought it. Well it stayed in my drawer for years. I'd take it out, wipe it down and admire it. Then put it back. Finally I asked my wife if she mind me selling it. She said fine. Well I was helping a dealer at a show, while we were setting up the morning of I placed it in the case. A dealer came by before the show opened up. I hadn't even put a price on it yet. I told him $125. He bought it. I made good money and I never used it so I didn't mind selling it. It was a beautiful knife, but it wasn't something I'd use. I have one other knife like that, a Case pocket knife. I got it on some kind of deal. So just to say I've owned a Case knife, I got it. Same thing, it just sits in my drawer in the box. At least this on isn't ornate like the Parker was. And I have little to nothing in it
Flipper

An expensive hobby is garden scale trains! You can easily spend over a $1K on one locomotive with the computer chip installed (DCC, digital command control); a foot of track is about $10 (and you'll need at least 60 feet for a small layout). Then there's more locomotives, rolling stock, 3" tall people, buildings, scenery, etc... Add other hobbies like guns, militaria, motorcycles, cars, stereo equipment, musical instruments, reloading, woodworking, leather-bound book collecting, and you'll be wondering "where'd all my money go?"
Use a cheerio for the tire swing. Just paint it black.

Thank my mom

Bruh, get a C and L through the abdomen and we can talk.
Football, Motorcross, Jumping out helos into the water on my ass, fighting in bars, fighting husbands, etc…… All during my youth. I literally feel your pain. Every day.
We both got first class tickets on the pain train. But hey, you wanna play, you gotta pay. 😆😆😆😆

Just don’t get “trapped into a certain type”.
A few of my nicer ones.

I have quite a few of “them”. I’m not an avid collector of Case compared to my Dad. He has so many Case knives he could open a store. He even has the big glass top Case display case that sat in Franklin sporting goods for 40 years. It is fully packed with them, and is hardly a speck of his collection. He has collected them all of his life.

I have a 80+ y/o neighbor who has over 5k Peanuts. That’s what he told me, anyway, and I know him to be a man of his word. He has collected Peanuts his entire life as well.

I have paid $300+ for a couple of my knives, but those are an exception for me. I have a couple of handmade knives that are worth closer to $1k, but those were gifts.

I won’t typically spend over $200 for a knife. $200 can get a guy plenty of knife. If I spend that much, or more, it will be a handmade fixed blade. Those are my favs, and I have collected them all of my adult life. I have a few.

Love those Ercoupes. 😍😍😍😍. Does it have rudder pedals?
The Ercoupes didn’t. Mine is an Aircoupe and does. There are STC’s to put them in or take them out.

They are certified to land in a 25 mph direct crosswind! Stall-proof and Spin-proof. There is no stall warning device installed on these aircraft. I always say that you’d have to work hard to kill yourself in one of these. But then of course there are overachievers who have succeeded...

The Ercoupes didn’t. Mine is an Aircoupe and does. There are STC’s to put them in or take them out.

They are certified to land in a 25 mph direct crosswind! Stall-proof and Spin-proof. There is no stall warning device installed on these aircraft. I always say that you’d have to work hard to kill yourself in one of these. But then of course there are overachievers who have succeeded...
A friend of my Dad had one and it was such an docile and fun plane to fly. I was an “airport bum” back in the 70’s as my Dad had a Luscombe, Cessna150 and a 1946 Fairchild 24W. I soloed in a Champ when I was 16 and that’s where my love of General Aviation came from but I decided to go the ATC route as a career instead of the cockpit

I still go to Airventure every year and enjoy strolling around and admiring the hard work and creativity people put into their planes. Already making plans for this year.

I couldn't afford a Corvette for my mid-life crisis so firearms had to do.

I think I should've taken the Corvette direction...
Exactly what I was thinking. If I wouldn't have accidentally got interested in Colt SAA's and high end Colt 1911's a couple years back, I could have got a corvette or at least a 1970 Mustang that I have been wanting. My VERY unreasonable wife said if I wanted the 50 K Mustang I needed to sell 50 K worth of firearms. God I hate that Bitch!

Exactly what I was thinking. If I wouldn't have accidentally got interested in Colt SAA's and high end Colt 1911's a couple years back, I could have got a corvette or at least a 1970 Mustang that I have been wanting. My VERY unreasonable wife said if I wanted the 50 K Mustang I needed to sell 50 K worth of firearms. God I hate that Bitch!
Life is hard, doesn't matter how you go about it........

I rode motorcycles most all my life, mostly Harleys, another $100. Lol
after getting hit twice head on by a car or truck.... 🙃
last time last June, I hate it, not riding, but on to other adventures,
too much metal in, I wish I was
IRON MAN lol

Back
Top Bottom