• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Damn expensive hobbies!

Man knives can be just as bad. I’m the same as you, though. I ain’t spending $600-$800 on a knife.
Yea, to me a knife is just a tool. Some are purdy to look at. I guess the most I ever spent on a knife was $50. I was working at a mall at the time. There was a knife shop I'd go by and look every once in a while. There was a Parker engraved with stag handles, kind of looked like a folding Bowie. In the box, beautiful knife. It was $200. I'd look at it through the case every time I visited the store. I watched the knife get marked down to $100. Then one day on my birthday I was walking the mall with my wife and I wanted to show her that knife, just to look. Well it was marked down to $50. I looked at my wife and she said go ahead. So I bought it. Well it stayed in my drawer for years. I'd take it out, wipe it down and admire it. Then put it back. Finally I asked my wife if she mind me selling it. She said fine. Well I was helping a dealer at a show, while we were setting up the morning of I placed it in the case. A dealer came by before the show opened up. I hadn't even put a price on it yet. I told him $125. He bought it. I made good money and I never used it so I didn't mind selling it. It was a beautiful knife, but it wasn't something I'd use. I have one other knife like that, a Case pocket knife. I got it on some kind of deal. So just to say I've owned a Case knife, I got it. Same thing, it just sits in my drawer in the box. At least this one isn't ornate like the Parker was. And I have little to nothing in it

Yea, to me a knife is just a tool. Some are purdy to look at. I guess the most I ever spent on a knife was $50. I was working at a mall at the time. There was a knife shop I'd go by and look every once in a while. There was a Parker engraved with stag handles, kind of looked like a folding Bowie. In the box, beautiful knife. It was $200. I'd look at it through the case every time I visited the store. I watched the knife get marked down to $100. Then one day on my birthday I was walking the mall with my wife and I wanted to show her that knife, just to look. Well it was marked down to $50. I looked at my wife and she said go ahead. So I bought it. Well it stayed in my drawer for years. I'd take it out, wipe it down and admire it. Then put it back. Finally I asked my wife if she mind me selling it. She said fine. Well I was helping a dealer at a show, while we were setting up the morning of I placed it in the case. A dealer came by before the show opened up. I hadn't even put a price on it yet. I told him $125. He bought it. I made good money and I never used it so I didn't mind selling it. It was a beautiful knife, but it wasn't something I'd use. I have one other knife like that, a Case pocket knife. I got it on some kind of deal. So just to say I've owned a Case knife, I got it. Same thing, it just sits in my drawer in the box. At least this on isn't ornate like the Parker was. And I have little to nothing in it
in that same vane, I couldn't carry a gun at my old job (felony location) but I could carry any kind of knife I wanted. $400 Combat Troodon. It's been used significantly all across the country. Recently semi-retired it after the owner of Wicked Edge tuned it up at Blade Show. Damn thing is a sword that's scary sharp. But it gets carried and used!

IMG_2939.jpeg
Man knives can be just as bad. I’m the same as you, though. I ain’t spending $600-$800 on a knife.
Just don’t get “trapped into a certain type”.
A few of my nicer ones.

An expensive hobby is garden scale trains! You can easily spend over a $1K on one locomotive with the computer chip installed (DCC, digital command control); a foot of track is about $10 (and you'll need at least 60 feet for a small layout). Then there's more locomotives, rolling stock, 3" tall people, buildings, scenery, etc... Add other hobbies like guns, militaria, motorcycles, cars, stereo equipment, musical instruments, reloading, woodworking, leather-bound book collecting, and you'll be wondering "where'd all my money go?"

Y’all don’t know how easy it is to spend money on aircraft. My little bird sips gas at 5.7 gallons an hour, $6.00 a gallon I get off cheap!

Next month I’m upgrading the instrument panel. Believe me when I say I’m going cheap at 30k worth of stuff. I’m am aircraft mechanic, so legally I can sign off my own work. Most pilots have to pay north of $50 an hour for a mechanic and more for avionics
IMG_5087.jpeg

My medical bills from skydiving and BASE jumping were and still are expensive. Just finished having the discs between C5-6, C6-7 replaced with cadaver bone, bone spurs removed from C5-6-7 that had grown into my spinal cord and nerve running down my left arm and a plate installed to fuse C5-7 vertebras together. This is from a hard canopy opening I had in 2010 when I went from 120mph to 0 in a 1/2 a second and fractured C5.
Bruh, get a C and L through the abdomen and we can talk.
Football, Motorcross, Jumping out helos into the water on my ass, fighting in bars, fighting husbands, etc…… All during my youth. I literally feel your pain. Every day.

Y’all don’t know how easy it is to spend money on aircraft. My little bird sips gas at 5.7 gallons an hour, $6.00 a gallon I get off cheap!

Next month I’m upgrading the instrument panel. Believe me when I say I’m going cheap at 30k worth of stuff. I’m am aircraft mechanic, so legally I can sign off my own work. Most pilots have to pay north of $50 an hour for a mechanic and more for avionics View attachment 6776802
Love those Ercoupes. 😍😍😍😍. Does it have rudder pedals?

Back
Top Bottom