• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dangers of a failed primer?

Another question:
I know no one saves steel cases for reloading, and I'm curious as to why that is?
Steel is not as ductile and malleable as brass so it doesn't resize well...or at all.

Also when I see cases with a matte stainless steel look and a chrome look, is that still a true brass case that is fine to reload or what?
I've always wondered about that.
Probably aluminum and no, I wouldn't try and reload it either.

there are steel cases and nickel plated brass cases. Nickel cases are fine to reload but tend to be more brittle, so they don't reload as often as a brass base. Steel case is hard to resize (brass is more "malleable"). Steel will just split.

as for light strikes, go ahead and run it thru the pistol again and see if it fires. if not, toss or pull the bullet and start over.

I've had good luck with Tula primers. I don't think I've ever had one not fire.

check the height on the primers and make sure they are seated properly. if they aren't seated, it could be that your firing pin is pushing the primer all the way into the pocket and not setting off the charge.

I usually use an RCBS kinetic puller that's like a big plastic hammer. I know recently someone on here had an issue with a round going off while pulling the bullets but in 15 years of pulling bullets, I've never had one go off. there's nothing near the primer to set it off so who knows what happened in that case. you can also get a collet puller if you are concerned. I reload some off caliber stuff so I find some older ammo that I pull and save the bullets and brass cases. That way when I load them I know they are good for another 50 years. :)

Thanks for all the info guys, I've really learned a lot, this is one of the things I love about the ODT, there is always someone who knows the answer to your question, or they can point you in the right direction.

Many of those steel cases are berdan primed instead of boxer. They have 2 primer flash holes off center instead of in the middle and the dies we use for reloading are unable to deprime them. Also you need a special berdan primer to reprime with. It is more work than it is worth. However, I have heard of some reloading the boxer primed steel case with some luck, just never found one myself that was boxer primed.

Back
Top Bottom