• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Dawson Forest nuclear reactor site.

I doubt if they thought it was safe for exploration they would keep it covered and monitored. Think of the halflife on most of the sh*t they had there.

decays, through alpha-emission, with a half-life of 4.5 billion years to thorium-234
which decays, through beta-emission, with a half-life of 24 days to protactinium-234
which decays, through beta-emission, with a half-life of 1.2 minutes to uranium-234
which decays, through alpha-emission, with a half-life of 240 thousand years to thorium-230
which decays, through alpha-emission, with a half-life of 77 thousand years to radium-226
which decays, through alpha-emission, with a half-life of 1.6 thousand years to radon-222
which decays, through alpha-emission, with a half-life of 3.8 days to polonium-218
which decays, through alpha-emission, with a half-life of 3.1 minutes to lead-214
which decays, through beta-emission, with a half-life of 27 minutes to bismuth-214
which decays, through beta-emission, with a half-life of 20 minutes to polonium-214
which decays, through alpha-emission, with a half-life of 160 microseconds to lead-210
which decays, through beta-emission, with a half-life of 22 years to bismuth-210
which decays, through beta-emission, with a half-life of 5 days to polonium-210
which decays, through alpha-emission, with a half-life of 140 days to lead-206, which is a stable nuclide

We have to dump our radioactive waste somewhere who is to say this wasn't one of those places.

Last edited:
I've been there several times. The underground labs were so big that they used mopeds to get around on. They even left the mopeds, a truck and a jeep in there when they mysteriously shut it down over the weekend in the early seventies. Employees came to work that Monday morning and were met by armed guards and given their pay checks...they were not even allowed to go in and get personal items...sounds to me like they may had a radiation problem and tried to cover it up!

I doubt if they thought it was safe for exploration they would keep it covered and monitored. Think of the halflife on most of the sh*t they had there.

decays, through alpha-emission, with a half-life of 4.5 billion years to thorium-234
which decays, through beta-emission, with a half-life of 24 days to protactinium-234
which decays, through beta-emission, with a half-life of 1.2 minutes to uranium-234
which decays, through alpha-emission, with a half-life of 240 thousand years to thorium-230
which decays, through alpha-emission, with a half-life of 77 thousand years to radium-226
which decays, through alpha-emission, with a half-life of 1.6 thousand years to radon-222
which decays, through alpha-emission, with a half-life of 3.8 days to polonium-218
which decays, through alpha-emission, with a half-life of 3.1 minutes to lead-214
which decays, through beta-emission, with a half-life of 27 minutes to bismuth-214
which decays, through beta-emission, with a half-life of 20 minutes to polonium-214
which decays, through alpha-emission, with a half-life of 160 microseconds to lead-210
which decays, through beta-emission, with a half-life of 22 years to bismuth-210
which decays, through beta-emission, with a half-life of 5 days to polonium-210
which decays, through alpha-emission, with a half-life of 140 days to lead-206, which is a stable nuclide

We have to dump our radioactive waste somewhere who is to say this wasn't one of those places.

Bingo !!!!! Don Pardo tell him what he wins!!!!! Thats what im thinking. What is so odd is some of the old folks around there get a little creeped out if you ask them about it. The Old guy I talked to said "he and his faimly were told they need to keep there mouths shut about it ,or else." thats strange? when I ask by who? he said "Im gonna stop there, probly said too much already" and then he kinda laughed. again strange.
HE told me this took place in the late 60s. I wont say where he lives to it, but you could say very close.

Back in the early 90's we were ridin' atvs (sorry DNR) over near the hot cell building, and ran up on an 8 ft heavy fence. It was around a huge mound about a half to 3/4 acre big. Still wonder what they buried there.

Like I said you got to dump it somewhere.

Actually the majority of low level radioactive waste is sent to Oak Ridge, TN for processing and is then buried in a landfill. The Department of Energy utilizies the Savannah River Site for radioactive waste processing and disposal, to what capactiy I'm not sure. The site is no longer used for enriching weapons grade materials.

I would be interested to see the technology behind the Dawson reactor as it was completely portable, I'm sure dose rates went through the roof when it was hoisted out of it's storage pool. Most likely the majority of any nuclides left behind at the site would be tritium from water leaks. Sounds scary, but most likely harmless. Fission product gases decay within hours of creation and other decay products a few days, those with half lives in the 10,000 year or more range would be actual Uranium 235 or its direct decay isotopes (Cesium, Iodine, ect...), which I doubt they left any behind.

Back
Top Bottom