• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Decent 9MM price at Wal Mart

Over the years I have had problems with QC in all of the major brands. Probably the fewest problems with Federal, but I have probably shot a smaller volume of Federal loads to be fair. Recently WWB issues have been: Rim on 9mm to thick for extractor to grab and extract, and neck on 5.56 torn near the cannelure. Remington is just plain dirty, and the Federal ammo has proved to be the least consistent through the chronograph. You get what you pay for when you buy promo loads in my opinion. They are fine for the range but thats about it.

Over the years I have had problems with QC in all of the major brands. Probably the fewest problems with Federal, but I have probably shot a smaller volume of Federal loads to be fair. Recently WWB issues have been: Rim on 9mm to thick for extractor to grab and extract, and neck on 5.56 torn near the cannelure. Remington is just plain dirty, and the Federal ammo has proved to be the least consistent through the chronograph. You get what you pay for when you buy promo loads in my opinion. They are fine for the range but thats about it.

And if they arent consistent thru the chrono then the different velocity can change impact of bullet thru the gun. And cause groups to open up .... but people dont take that into consideration. They just say "this gun isnt accurate, or I cant shoot this gun for crap". But I digress I dont know anything at all.

And for those that ask whats wrong with it not making power factor ? Go shoot a match and when your ammo doesnt knock over the steel you have no leg to stand on because your ammo doesnt make power and doesnt hit hard enough. Or when you go thru chrono and they say sorry but you only made 124 power factor you now just wasted your entrance fee which was 100 bucks. What are you going to do then?

And if they arent consistent thru the chrono then the different velocity can change impact of bullet thru the gun. And cause groups to open up .... but people dont take that into consideration. They just say "this gun isnt accurate, or I cant shoot this gun for crap". But I digress I dont know anything at all.

And for those that ask whats wrong with it not making power factor ? Go shoot a match and when your ammo doesnt knock over the steel you have no leg to stand on because your ammo doesnt make power and doesnt hit hard enough. Or when you go thru chrono and they say sorry but you only made 124 power factor you now just wasted your entrance fee which was 100 bucks. What are you going to do then?

Right.. But who goes to a match using cheap ammo? I mean, isn't that what the match-grade stuff is for?

i checked one near me last night and didn't see any 100 rd boxes of federal...have to try some other ones...does the box look like the 50 rd federal boxes?

i checked one near me last night and didn't see any 100 rd boxes of federal...have to try some other ones...does the box look like the 50 rd federal boxes?

Same coloration as the regular 50 count box, a little narrower and taller from the end though. It has a picture of the primer end of the cartridge and I had mistaken it for a small box of shotgun shells at first. Also, they were not with the regular Federal pistol ammo. The lady at my Wal Mart told me they do not have a home on the shelf so they kinda got stuck in where they had room for them.

Last edited:
you just gave my confidence a boost, my groupings are mighty tight with the wolf ammo I am always shooting:first:

I'll back that up, I've seen issues with every major brand of ammo over the years. As of late Federal has had recalls and took me tracking down a rep to get things sorted out. Winchester White box 9mm as for late has had issues with their primers, about two per box failing to fire on first strike. There AA shot shells have also been having some issues, in the last 3K rounds I have had 7 shells that had there brass head split out of the box. Don't shoot much Remington but a year or so back their Thunderbolt .22lr was giving me and several of my shooting partners fits because it wouldn't fire. For range ammo accuracy consistency the stuff that has been group the best for me as of late in .45ACP has been Wolf in my TRP, for 9mm S&B had been giving me the best groups, though only by about 1/2 an inch or so. The defensive ammo I have been testing though has by far given the best group in anything I have shot it out of.

Back
Top Bottom