• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deer hunting in & around Charleston SC

Korndog

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
93   0
Reaction score
Curious if anyone’s familiar with the general deer population in the “suburbs” area of Charleston? My brother in law lives on John’s Island, close to the coast, and there’s tidal creeks all around him and his area.
How big are the deer generally, compared to other areas in the SE? They known to be on the smaller side? Or are they monsters? Or pretty comparable to what we see here in GA?

He’s got a 16” 5.56 AR and we’re wondering if that’ll be enough for hunting, using something like a 70 grain all copper projectile.

Trying to avoid buying another firearm, but if 5.56 is sufficient and he gets serious, maybe a Ruger American in 5.56 would be nice & effective & affordable entry into the sport…

Any other tips or considerations are much appreciated.
Thanks

For the most part, coastal deer are smaller. Ive got a buddy that feeds year around near there. Ive never seen any that id call big. Antlers or body. He does have hogs though. Some of those are pretty big.

With the amount of money on John's Island, your BIL better stick to crabbing. You know the first shot fired's gonna get a police or national guard response.

I had 3 in my back yard this morning, why go anywhere. Georgia is the crown jewel of the Southeast. The opportunities are no better anywhere else even remotely near by

My BIL lives in Charleston and has for about 15 years now, and we visit regularly. Can't say I've ever seen a deer in the burbs there. But plenty of oysters, crabs, and fishing. Oh and gators. Now I'm curious, I'll have to ask him if he knows anyone that hunts deer in the area.

I had 3 in my back yard this morning, why go anywhere. Georgia is the crown jewel of the Southeast. The opportunities are no better anywhere else even remotely near by
Now that I reread my OP, I can see how you think I’m talking about myself going there to hunt. My bad, I’m here representing my BIL, trying to help him figure out ultimately if the 5.56 is sufficient for him to use on the deer in his area.

Now that I reread my OP, I can see how you think I’m talking about myself going there to hunt. My bad, I’m here representing my BIL, trying to help him figure out ultimately if the 5.56 is sufficient for him to use on the deer in his area.
Yes I saw that too. Personally, I don't like the 223 for deer. But that's me. There are those that swear by it

SC deer season opens on Aug 15, that would be a one month head start for most of us here in Jawja. If I had a place to go over there I would be sweating my a** off in a tree on 8/15!

Back
Top Bottom