• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Define shooter buck in your opinion

If it’s not mature it lives , shoot does for meat . We took 35 does off of a few different properties of ours last year the last week of season trying to thing them down and fed a lot of mouths.

IMG_3116.png

IMG_3046.png

IMG_3040.png

Personally I'm not much on shooting young bucks. IMO, most bucks killed aren't fit to eat unless you're really hungry. We eat a lot of venison, but everyone is a nice fat head shot doe.
IMG_20230108_135715602.jpg

As long as you eat all of it and give any scraps and bones to the dogs I'd say you done well with whatever you killed.

I do have respect for trophy hunters who go out on public land, and put in the work to get that mature buck that as eluded predator after predator year after year.

But to the guys that watch the same deer come to their feeder or food plot year after year until finally it's horns are big enough to impress their buddies and put on Facebook.... I'm sorry about your incredibly small peter.

When you see a shooter you know instantly. If you have to question, then it's not.

As for measurements, you can't measure what makes a buck magnificent nor what makes your heart race. So don't ruin it by trying. Whipping out a measuring tape is childish nonsense trying to bridge the difference between what you guess at as you develop and what you will know with maturity.
Best answer yet. It's usually a 3 year plus year old buck. When I see it I know if I'm picking up the gun or bow or not. That's different for everyone. When I started hunting it was anything that I could shoot. I've become much more particular. I don't score my deer in any way other than shooter or not. I'm not in a quality managed club and I'm not responsible to answer to anyone. If it makes me happy it's taking a ride.

Back
Top Bottom