• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Delete

Status
Not open for further replies.
How come no one is bringing the Atlanta homeless people inside, from out of the cold? Just drove downtown the other day and there were a lot of very destitute looking people wandering around with their shopping carts and duffels.

Screenshot from 2019-12-11 13-37-05.png

PETA kills more dogs than any other organization in the USA. It refuses to use it's money to support dogs that are surrendered to it's facilities, claiming that it is a better use of the money to "educate" the public. PETA was fined by the State of Va for the inhumane way if euthanized dogs, and kenneled them in the brief period before they were euthanized. You can, as they say, "look it up,"

I will worry about dogs in the cold when they post a video of an NFL player licking his own balls.

I built a nice doghouse, and both of my large, shorthaired dogs loved it in the winter and the summer.

I had one 100 lb. all black dog that on any cold day would find a sunny spot in the yard, lay there and only move when the sun moved. Had a tortoise shell cat do the same thing.

How come no one is bringing the Atlanta homeless people inside, from out of the cold? Just drove downtown the other day and there were a lot of very destitute looking people wandering around with their shopping carts and duffels.

View attachment 2396697
They have the choice of getting shelter. There is plenty available to them.

PETA kills more dogs than any other organization in the USA. It refuses to use it's money to support dogs that are surrendered to it's facilities, claiming that it is a better use of the money to "educate" the public. PETA was fined by the State of Va for the inhumane way if euthanized dogs, and kenneled them in the brief period before they were euthanized. You can, as they say, "look it up,"

I will worry about dogs in the cold when they post a video of an NFL player licking his own balls.

I built a nice doghouse, and both of my large, shorthaired dogs loved it in the winter and the summer.

I had one 100 lb. all black dog that on any cold day would find a sunny spot in the yard, lay there and only move when the sun moved. Had a tortoise shell cat do the same thing.
Just out of curiosity, what were the options your dogs had other than the dog house and laying in the Sun?

Believe it or not, dogs aren't yard ornaments! DUH!! I never understand people that HAVE to get a dog then leave it chained up or stuck in a kennel all day/night. Why don't you save yourself the money of feeding it and not have one? And most likely the aggravation of your neighbors listening to it bark at everything and anything because it's bored out of its mind? I know there are certain dogs that truly love being outside-as long as they have some room to roam-and if that the type of dog and property you have then great. But most dogs need interaction and not all dogs are made for any/all climates. I feel just as bad for the short hair dog shivering in the cold during winter as I do for the huskies and pyrenees and newfoundlands etc that are stuck in someones back yard or being trotted around on a leash during the Georgia summer.

Believe it or not, dogs aren't yard ornaments! DUH!! I never understand people that HAVE to get a dog then leave it chained up or stuck in a kennel all day/night. Why don't you save yourself the money of feeding it and not have one? And most likely the aggravation of your neighbors listening to it bark at everything and anything because it's bored out of its mind? I know there are certain dogs that truly love being outside-as long as they have some room to roam-and if that the type of dog and property you have then great. But most dogs need interaction and not all dogs are made for any/all climates. I feel just as bad for the short hair dog shivering in the cold during winter as I do for the huskies and pyrenees and newfoundlands etc that are stuck in someones back yard or being trotted around on a leash during the Georgia summer.
Well said. The only thing I want to say about this is that we should not discourage crating a dog appropriately.

Crating is an integral part of initial training. You have to be able to prevent negative behaviors when you are not there to correct them. However, it should not be a permanent lifestyle for the dog. The goal is to get them to the point you don't need the crate at all.

I know I'm kind of jumping on this one detail of your post, but please understand this is a battle I fight almost daily about crating and have seen many dogs lose their homes due to destructive behaviors because the idiot owners thought it was more humane to get rid of their dog than confine them for a short time while gaining control of their behavior. It's another new and incorrect politically correct belief about dogs. Unfortunately, there are many and they are growing in numbers. It's always the dogs that pay for, too.

Well said. The only thing I want to say about this is that we should not discourage crating a dog appropriately.

Crating is an integral part of initial training. You have to be able to prevent negative behaviors when you are not there to correct them. However, it should not be a permanent lifestyle for the dog. The goal is to get them to the point you don't need the crate at all.

I know I'm kind of jumping on this one detail of your post, but please understand this is a battle I fight almost daily about crating and have seen many dogs lose their homes due to destructive behaviors because the idiot owners thought it was more humane to get rid of their dog than confine them for a short time while gaining control of their behavior. It's another new and incorrect politically correct belief about dogs. Unfortunately, there are many and they are growing in numbers. It's always the dogs that pay for, too.
I agree. I was actually pointing out people that have dogs that spend all day in a pen in the back yard. Sometimes 24 hours a day. I had a guy recently tell me how much he "loved" his last dog but just couldn't stand to see him in a pen so he let him out to run in the yard where he ended up in the road hit and killed. Hmmm, gee smart guy-maybe you shouldn't own dogs since you have no fence, you won't allow them in your house but you don't want them penned up. Clearly no training, little to no time spent watching/interacting with them. Then turned around and gave his grown daughter a dog (bred them) cause SHE just hads ta have one-but of course only if she had a "good pen" to keep it in. Well, surprise, surprise, surprise...dog got bored/tired of being locked up, dug out and got hit by a fricken car! It was all I could do to stand there and listen to this stupidity without saying anything.
But yes, I agree that the crate has it's place and can be a necessary training tool. I've had to deal with people that can't even manage to keep the dog restricted from certain areas of the house, but then get mad when said dog wanders down to little suzies room (where no one is watching) and takes a crap. Close the door! Block off the stairs or the hallway! Keep them on a leash or in the room with you somehow or, if you can't, in a crate! But, come back the next week and somehow the dog is still crapping in suzies room. Ugh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom