• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Detroit Diesel Runaway

Dem old dieselz will run dafuq away mane

They will also run backward. Screw up starting on a hill and you can get the engine making power and accelerating in reverse rotation. There is an emergency shutdown handle that closes a flapper in the air intake, but the driver is usually too distracted to think of it as it happens.

There are some fail youtube videos on trucks in india/pak area where this clearly is happening, and it is in mountainous areas where the outcome is not good.

My son was a diesel mechanic and he said that if turbo goes bad that they can continue to run on oil from oil line I assume it could nt be an exhaust turbo. I really don’t know

Yes, an exhaust turbo. Oil seal blows and oil is pumped into the intake side of the turbo. Diesels are unthrottled engines and power is regulated by increasing or decreasing fuel flow. Introduce 60 psi stream of oil into the intake of a running diesel and you increase rpms with no way to slow it down. Shutting off the key only stops fuel from the injectors, engine oil is still pumping. Hope your oil seal leak is small.

A Detroit will also run away if the governor has issues or sticks. Governor failure was the most common reaqson they ran away. I am glad the 2 strokes are no longer around. BTDT stopped the Detroit with a metal tool tray over the intake on a zero mile rebuild that ran away when it was cranked.

Yes, an exhaust turbo. Oil seal blows and oil is pumped into the intake side of the turbo. Diesels are unthrottled engines and power is regulated by increasing or decreasing fuel flow. Introduce 60 psi stream of oil into the intake of a running diesel and you increase rpms with no way to slow it down. Shutting off the key only stops fuel from the injectors, engine oil is still pumping. Hope your oil seal leak is small.
Thats what he said

Back
Top Bottom