DIY AR headspace question

LMT you should be ok. If it was RedX, DiamonBack, DelTon, PTac from PSA. It might be nice to error on the side of caution with those.

Have you ever encountered a head space problem with these manufacturers or are you just trashing them because they aren't overpriced - re-branded - same thing - boutique parts someone grabbed from the same bins and stamped their name on?

Have you ever encountered a head space problem with these manufacturers or are you just trashing them because they aren't overpriced - re-branded - same thing - boutique parts someone grabbed from the same bins and stamped their name on?

Not bashing them. I just know they are cheaper for a reason. MOST of the time skimping on QC is an easy way to reduce cost. You can have QC issues with Noveske, BCM, DD, JP enterprise, etc.... It just in ALOT LESS frequency.

I actually don't own "high end" AR's, all mine are home built with the exception of one factory PSA carbine. 99% of the time, components are good to go. But there is that 1% that does happen. It just seems to happen more so with "lower end" brands.

Again, if anyone owns the brands I mentioned, I am not knocking your rifle, just know they would be more prone to QC issues than "higher end" brands that do a lot more thorough QC checks (higher fit/finish standards).

Not bashing them. I just know they are cheaper for a reason. MOST of the time skimping on QC is an easy way to reduce cost. You can have QC issues with Noveske, BCM, DD, JP enterprise, etc.... It just in ALOT LESS frequency.

I actually don't own "high end" AR's, all mine are home built with the exception of one factory PSA carbine. 99% of the time, components are good to go. But there is that 1% that does happen. It just seems to happen more so with "lower end" brands.

Again, if anyone owns the brands I mentioned, I am not knocking your rifle, just know they would be more prone to QC issues than "higher end" brands that do a lot more thorough QC checks (higher fit/finish standards).

Speculation.

Speculation.
Work on enough of the public's guns and you'll see the data prove his "speculation" as fact.

Speculation.

Meh, it's whatever you want to think man. There is a reason my PSA rifle will not bring what a DD will bring resale value wise. I don't feel it's any less of a rifle as it's the premium carbine, just DD has a better rep. I suppose you own one of said brands I listed as a "lower end" brand?

So you have encountered head space issues with freshly built ARs?

MTdawg can give you his tale of the two Diamond Back AR's that both were sent out with the barrel extensions not even torqued to 150 ft lbs. as a netter of fact, they weren't even hand right. Let's see that slips out from JP Enterprises or Noveske...

So you have encountered head space issues with freshly built ARs?

The post I quoted referenced overall QC issues, but to answer your question, yes I have. Same issue as Wallace describes MTdawg having with loose barrel extensions on new, factory-built guns, but the ones I ran into were ATI.

Your post earlier in the thread about marked-up boutique parts coming from the same bin as lower end parts seems to indicate that you just have a chip on your shoulder about high-end AR's. That's your deal, man, but it doesn't change what happens in real life (hint: not all AR's are created equal).

I always check headspace.

My recently built upper with a Sota Arms 300 barrel and Wilson combat bcg wouldn't close on a 300 go gauge.

No problem for me, I switched the bcg with another build that I had. Checked headspace on both combos after the swap and I'm good to go.

In this case, it prevented me from having a frustrating range day. I would've bought a new bolt had I not had the other build handy. The sota bolts are only about $40. You don't need a whole bcg, just the bolt itself.

Back
Top Bottom