• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do Not Use Reloads in Glocks???

+1 on watching your brass. Heavy bullets pushed at max velocity are your greatest risk, as well as using a faster burning powder. I shoot the lighter copper jacketed bullets 155-165 gr. Don't push the max load values as this round is already hot as it is. Zero bullets in Alabama have an inexpensive FMJ and I order through Kirk Brookshire 706-344-9049/706-265-8667. He is a great guy to work with.
i52.tinypic.com_f20zdw.jpg

Left-Glock older barrel, Center-Glock current barrel, Right-Aftermarket Glock barrel
Look at the six o-clock position. 1911 .38 supers blew brass out frequently enough to warrent a fully supported case head. I can't find a youtube video to support this but then 1911 .38 supers didn't have the lions share of the LEO market either.

Last edited:
Right Womsterr and the same can be said of HK, Kahr (non-CW series) and some others due to the polygonal rifling. With appropriate pressure testing equipment the pressures have been unacceptably higher than normal.

Right Womsterr and the same can be said of HK, Kahr (non-CW series) and some others due to the polygonal rifling. With appropriate pressure testing equipment the pressures have been unacceptably higher than normal.

Ive shot lead through my USP. Had no problems. I even talked to HK they said it was fine as long as you clean the bore every 100 rounds.

Ive shot lead through my USP. Had no problems. I even talked to HK they said it was fine as long as you clean the bore every 100 rounds.

Yes sir,

I have heard the same for Glocks as well but be aware. As the lead accumulates in the polygonal rifling, due to the superior sealing characteristics of this specific rifling, so do the pressure elevations noted with equipment designed to test them. Standard excess pressure signs on brass often were not seen early on when pressures exceeded industry standards. But do check your brass. If I adhered to a 100 round barrel clean up I'd often have to stop in the middle of a shooting session, several times. If I was on an extremely low budget I'd make my own lead bullets and clean the barrels after an arbitrary number....100 sounds good to me. But I’m not and I won’t. HK having my back just in case is good to know. I would be wary of doing this with a 40 S&W though.

Leading is directly reflective of the type of lead used and the speeds they are being pushed, as well as the quality/type of the bore its shot out of. But I would use more caution with the .40 S&W than say a 9 mm and less so with a .45 ACP. The 9mm and 40 S&W are fairly high pressure from the get go. The amount of metal barrel wrapping a 9 mm is significantly thicker typically when compared to 40 S&W. The .45 ACP barrels are even thinner but their pressures are a lot less. For example, I have some high psi loads that are listed for 9 mm as 33,000 psi and .40 S&W as 35,000 psi. The data I have for .45 ACP is as high as 20,600 psi (this is not a +P loading). Most folks probably would do well to stick with jacketed bullets in their polygonal rifled barrels.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom