• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you notice any difference in the taste of deer?

Do you notice any difference in the taste of venison?

• No, I'll eat 'em all.

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Yes, but not enough to matter.

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Yes, I can't eat bucks or rutting bucks.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • All venison tacos are top shelf.

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters
Did you ever have some come in that stunk, not gut shot stink but rut stink?

The rut buck would be a little stronger, but the decomposing is the "gamey" that people claim.

I have told folks to carry them on down the road, because I wasn't going to hang that crap in with good meat.

If it's gut shot. Then any part that has any gut whatsoever on it gets cut out with a wide path and discarded.

If you want really good deer meat, shoot them in the head with a 300 win mag.

The rut buck would be a little stronger, but the decomposing is the "gamey" that people claim.

I have told folks to carry them on down the road, because I wasn't going to hang that crap in with good meat.

If it's gut shot. Then any part that has any gut whatsoever on it gets cut out with a wide path and discarded.

If you want really good deer meat, shoot them in the head with a 300 win mag.
The decomposition is not the source of the "gamey" flavor, unless it's spoiled.

The gamy taste these folks complain about is really the taste of the guts staying in the deer too long, or the meat is starting to decompose.
Some folks like that taste, but it's not for me.

I like to be pulling the hide while the muscles are still twitching from the head shot trauma.

Beef wil taste "gamey" if you gut shoot a cow and ride it around in your pickup truck for 6 hours.
also I let mine stay in ice for a couple of days and keep the water drained , all of the blood drains out of the meat.

also I let mine stay in ice for a couple of days and keep the water drained , all of the blood drains out of the meat.
So does the moisture. Ever tried to grill a steak that's been soaking in water for a few days?

Yea I'm not much for wetting the meat either. The color it changes to isn't that appetizing to me either.

I'll butcher them up and use those aluminum turkey pans and put them in the other fridge for several days, kind of like having a meat locker. 5 pans usually do it, each ham in one each, both shoulders in another, loin in one and everything else in the last one.

Yea the color is less than appetizing but I don't think it affects the taste. But I do like the idea of just putting it in the fridge. Does it still drain the blood into the pan?

As with any thread on the great ODT, wow, there's a lot of bad advice out there.

I beginning to wonder if the cruise is indeed worth the adventure.

Back
Top Bottom