• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you shoot does if they have fawns with them?

Do you shoot does if they have fawns with them?

• Total voters
What effect do you suppose it would have if hunters killed nothing but mature bucks?
The does would still get bred by younger or inferior bucks and eventually you would stop seeing nearly as many trophy sized bucks. Basically you would be creating an inferior breed of deer if the biggest strongest bucks didn't get to breed the most does. Quality deer management is based on biology and it works.

The does would still get bred by younger or inferior bucks and eventually you would stop seeing nearly as many trophy sized bucks. Basically you would be creating an inferior breed of deer if the biggest strongest bucks didn't get to breed the most does. Quality deer management is based on biology and it works.
I was also thinking that killing only big bucks would not result in a more healthy deer population, maybe lead to more overpopulation and cars wrecks.

I disagree with the opinion that the meat is better from a mature doe vs a buck. I have never been able to tell a difference in a 140lb doe vs a 200+ lb buck shot during rut. Its not more tender, its not more flavorful, and its not any less "gamey". If you have any of those three issues with your deer meat, I guarantee its not due to the weight or sex of the deer or what part of the season you shot it in.

I killed a 7.5 yo doe that almost broke my jaw when I tried eating it. It was not any different than the mature bucks I've eaten. My personal belief is that it's more about age.

I was also thinking that killing only big bucks would not result in a more healthy deer population, maybe lead to more overpopulation and cars wrecks.
This is exactly why you are allowed to shoot as many does as you are in the state of Georgia. They are attempting to control the size of the herd. Too many people still living in the old mind set of shooting bucks only. I guess they don't mind all the dead deer on the sides of the roads.

This is exactly why you are allowed to shoot as many does as you are in the state of Georgia. They are attempting to control the size of the herd. Too many people still living in the old mind set of shooting bucks only. I guess they don't mind all the dead deer on the sides of the roads.
Bleeding heart liberals moving in and making pets out of the suburban deer. Eating all the house plants but ask em if you can bowhunt their backyard.
ewwwwwwwww meme.jpeg

I only shoot does. Bro's before does. I just think they taste better imo. You can argue herd control but you'd have dnr have unlimited doe days if that were true. Everything is a balance. While I tend to let smaller deer walk it is my choice. For every hunter like myself who lets them walk I'm sure there is an equal amount or less that do not. I will say there have been seasons where I let younger ones walk early in the season and for what ever reason didn't get to hunt much more that season and regretted it. I wouldn't judge someone for shooting a small deer but would if they took pride in it.

Back
Top Bottom