• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Doe hunt for my daughter

MattT77

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
Can someone recommend a cheap hunting guide in GA or AL? I'm looking to take my daughter hunting. I'd love it if she could harvest her first deer. We have tried a couple of WMA's north of Atlanta, but haven't had any luck.

Thanks!

I can't recommend anyone for you. However, if you go to a WMA, look for the oaks and watch them. Acorns are about the only mast left in the woods and everything is competing for them on the ground. If you find squirrels, deer should be along shortly. Also, be very careful hunting public land as you have no idea of who else is out there.

Good Luck

Thanks y'all

She's 10, shoots a .223, and can sit as long as she's warm.

I took my son a few years back to the Amicalola tract WMA in Dawsonville. While we were hunting, a young boy was shot and killed by his own grandfather. When I was in college a hunter was killed near the Redlands. Honestly, not a big fan of WMA's. LOTS of irresponsible gun owners and individuals who will shoot anything that moves. Never understood how someone could actually mistake a human for a deer. (Hey look over there….see that bush moving…..hear that noise, shoot at it! :confused:)

Anyway, I'd be willing to pay someone to let her connect this year on a doe management hunt. We lost our lease in Barnesville this year and haven't really had the chance to get out and hunt much this season.

My neighbor on 3 sides is the Chattahoochee National Forest. It's several hundred thousand acres of public land. You can hunt, fish camp (up to 14 days). The only thing really you can NOT do is cut down a tree or build a permanent structure. So from my fence back to way more than you can ever walk...have at it. Hell, I let one old man hunt from my porch for 2 years. He's in a nursing home now, so he won't be back. Odd he never saw a deer. I pulled into my driveway right before the big snow hit and there were 2 bucks going at it right on the SW corner of my house maybe 90 feet away. There are not many days I don't see deer...and rarely any nights they aren't setting off the motion detectors. I'd rather not have anyone shooting deer right next to my house, though. The woods are full of them! When I first moved here, this area was hunted fairly heavily. I have not seen any sign of hunting nor heard any "hunting shots" fired close by in 4 or 5 years now. Either the locals found a better spot somewhere or they forgot about it. They might be getting a little over-populated. I've been seeing quite a few. Hit me up in PM if you want to come up here and hunt. I can have some chili or something ready when you get through if you like.

Back
Top Bottom