• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Does Your City/County Trust Criminals More Than Law Abiding Citizens?

County of Barrow

http://www.barrowcountynews.com/section/13/article/22746/

Sheriff Jud Smith said the Prosecuting Attorney’s Council of Georgia has stated that the law allows for signs at government buildings restricting firearms.

Signs banning firearms will be placed outside the Barrow County Admin Annex that houses the sheriff’s office and election office as well as the Building & Grounds building. It’ll be up to county leaders if they want similar signs put at other county buildings, Smith said.

He said he doesn’t want to infringe on Second Amendment Rights but believes the signs are the best approach at his building. Smith said some of the confusion about the law has been cleared up after talking with the Prosecuting Attorney’s Council of Georgia.

"The law allows any person at our buildings to put up a sign that says no weapons allowed on premises except by authorized personnel," he said.

I have spoken with Sheriff Smith this evening. He was misquoted in the paper and was given incorrect information on the law. The signs have been removed. He also asked me to post his email so that anyone wanting to contact him could do so. jsmith@barrowsheriff.com

Also, Sheriff Smith opens the Sheriff's Office range to the public, and he allows outside instructors to teach classes there. In fact, I hosted a class there this past weekend, and there were two other classes going too.

"It's a real contentious issue based around the Second Amendment," he said.

Lucas repeated his concern that the law also prohibits police officers from demanding to see a gun-carrier's permit. Some councilmen were astounded, with Chris Bowen saying it "makes no sense" that cops can demand to see a driver's license, but not a gun permit.

Perhaps if these leaders could comprehend just what citizen's rights entail and their personal responsibility, as well oath of office then stupid statements such as this would cease......

Today the taxing power, rather than chattel slavery, is the instrument by which the parasitical element of the population subsists. And that element, which includes politicians, panics at the slightest reduction in the state's power to plunder. Once you start liberating taxpayers, even a little tiny bit, nobody knows where it may end. -Joseph Sobran

http://cherokeetribune.com/bookmark/25318927

The state’s new gun law might not have an impact on Woodstock City Council meetings, but council members are still weighing the options.

The Woodstock City Council began considering its options at its meeting Monday on whether or not to allow guns into government buildings, such as the one where council meetings are held. They also discussed whether to use money and resources to screen anyone who enters the building.

City Manager Jeff Moon explained to the council members the law presents some challenges for local governments.

“You run into potential complications, the way this law was written, every way you turn,” Moon said. “I understand what they were trying to do. The problem is it got rushed.”

To complicate Woodstock’s decision, if the council decides to screen for guns at the government building where the council meetings are held, the entire building would be screened, including the area used for the Elm Street Cultural Arts events and activities.

Councilman Warren Johnson said he would be comfortable not screening for guns in the meetings.

“I can assure you, anyone with bad intent is not going to change their mind because of a sign,” Johnson said, adding the reason it hasn’t been a problem in the past wasn’t because there was an ordinance prohibiting weapons at meetings.

Moon agreed with Johnson, saying if a person has ill intent, screening probably won’t stop them.

Councilman Bob Mueller and Tessa Basford disagreed.

Bob Mueller and Tessa Basford .....noted for future campaigns.

County of Floyd:

http://wrgarome.com/common/page.php?feed=1&id=22321&is_corp=1

Currently, guns are not allowed in the County Administration Building and commission meetings.

McCord says he believes that they do have good security measures in place, although he did give specifics as to what those were.

He asked County Attorney Tommy Manning to take another look at the law to see if additional measures would be taken.

He also admitted that there may have to be an ordinance change in order to come into compliance with the new law.

Did I miss the part where a sign has the force of law?

stop_sign.jpg

Just messin' witcha. ;)

Back
Top Bottom